[NatureNS] Irving wins, again?

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 15:14:34 -0300

class=3DMsoNormal&gt;&lt;o:
On 2017-04-26 11:32 AM, GayleMacLean wrote:

> Don Connoly, yesterday on Information Morning, asked David Blair
> (Business Report) the same thing, about why Irving had such a small
> tariff, compared to other Canadian exporters. David Blair said it was
> something about how the wood was cut, whatever the heck that would mean.
> Could be something more than that though.

I believe that it has more to do with where it is cut rather than with
how. The problem, as the US sees it (and as I understand it), is that
most Canadian softwood harvesting is done on Crown land which is leased
cheaper than private land so Crown-harvested softwood is perceived as
"subsidized" by US softwood harvesters. I suspect that the reason that
Irving is being exempted from the bulk of the import tariff is that they
own the land on which they harvest, that is, it's not Crown land.

Phil

--

Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3

philschappert.ca
soundcloud.com/phil-schappert
imaginaturestudio.ca

   ◎|||||||◎

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                         (Michael Hedges)