[NatureNS] Nighthawk, swallows and hummingbird

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 18:40:54 -0300

Coming from town, Liverpool,  toward White Point on the road near the DOT
office and salt sheds, I saw what I am pretty sure was a Nighthawk resting
on the wires. I didn't get a really good long look, as I was driving and
someone was behind me. I saw the white at throat, chest and on the wing.
Tree Swallows are scarce here. We had two that set up housekeeping on the
weekend then left with the arrival of the rain. Two more visited from time
to time but the other houses usually full aren't occupied sadly. I hope it
changes. I had a short sit in the town parking lot. One solitary Swallow
hunting over the bridge. I checked at Whynot's garage. Usually a couple
settle in the yard light standard but not so far this year. With the sun
appearing today, I am seeing a few flying bodies and one Sulphur butterfly.
I still haven't seen a hummingbird  for sure on my property, and not on my
feeders but as we waited at a stop in town, I did see one buzzing what
appears to be a Magnolia (I think) planted too close to road. I hope it
shows up here.
Lots of other birds moving through, not as many as I would like.
Sparrows, Song and White Throats, Chickadees, a couple Juncos, a white
breasted Nuthatch, Goldfinches and a Purple finch pair, Starlings, Grackles,
Robins, Mourning Doves, Crows and Ravens, Brown headed cowbirds, males and
females, Red-winged blackbirds, males and females, and the woodpeckers,
Hairy Downy and Flickers. I think there is still a red crossbill in the tree
tops but can't be certain as I can't get close enough to get a photo. My
binocs don't go high enough power.  So. Tiny warblers include Yellow rumpeds
and again the rest are high so.
Soon I expect the Wax wings to come in after apple blossoms
Best regards, Marg in White Point.

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please