[NatureNS] owl decline linked to forest decline

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 07 May 2017 07:54:20 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D2C707.22C092B0

It=E2=80=99s a very long census night, when no owls are detected.

=20

A tool that could be used to compare owl habitat from year to year is =
Global Forest Watch.  Global Forest Watch maps tell the story of forest =
losses from 2001-2014.  This database is about to be updated to include =
years 2015 and 2016.  We=E2=80=99re likely going to see quite a stark =
change in NS.  We won=E2=80=99t have to wonder why we detect fewer owls.

=20

Link below.  Takes a while to load.  You can click on Forest cover =
gain/loss.  (Forest cover gain mainly shows areas where trees are =
growing back after clearcutting.)   It is very detailed if one =
=E2=80=9Czooms in=E2=80=9D to a particular owl survey area.

=20

http://www.globalforestwatch.org/map/8/44.88/-63.20/ALL/grayscale/loss,fo=
restgain?tab=3Danalysis-tab =
<http://www.globalforestwatch.org/map/8/44.88/-63.20/ALL/grayscale/loss,f=
orestgain?tab=3Danalysis-tab&begin=3D2001-01-01&end=3D2016-01-01&threshol=
d=3D30&dont_analyze=3Dtrue> =
&begin=3D2001-01-01&end=3D2016-01-01&threshold=3D30&dont_analyze=3Dtrue

=20

I am guessing that Bird Studies Canada owl census data is available to =
anyone from past years.  It would make a good project to analyse owl =
populations based on forest cover. =20

=20

Dr Bondrup-Neilson recently pointed out a long-standing false theory =
that when habitat is destroyed the displaced wildlife simply move =
=E2=80=9Csomewhere else=E2=80=9D.  This was likely never true, as =
habitat niches tend to be already filled (even back in the days when we =
had much more forest).  The displaced species has to compete with =
individuals of the same species who are already living there and =
well-established.  The displaced species has to learn where the new food =
supply is, a new landscape, etc.  Often times, a slow death to displaced =
wildlife takes place, as they starve/cannot find required shelter.  Even =
more upsetting is that Nova Scotia is running out of =E2=80=9Csomewhere =
else=E2=80=9D, as forests are being felled night and day, both on Crown =
and on private land.

=20

On the up side, Bernard Forsythe demonstrated with barred owls that they =
can manage very well in remnant forest patches when a suitable cavity is =
found (his nest boxes).  But imagine if we must mitigate for all the =
displaced species out there across the landscape.  It=E2=80=99s easier =
to maintain forest cover across our landscape than build homes and find =
food for moose, goshawks, saw-whets, bay-breasted warblers, etc.  =
We=E2=80=99re taking too much away.

=20

Donna Crossland

(I didn=E2=80=99t mean to make this into a solemn Sunday sermon!)

=20

=20

=20