[NatureNS] Apparent Melanistic Tree Swallow, Dauphinees Pond, Hlfx NS

From: George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 21:44:40 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a114f0312851789055062a496

Hi All,

Harold Forsyth and I went to try to see a reported Cave Swallow in Halifax
Co. We were unsuccessful in this effort, but were able to see thirty
species while standing around the pond behind the shopping mall and
visiting with the many birders who also came looking for a rare swallow.

The rarest that we were able to see among the Tree and Barn Swallows was
one apparent melanistic Tree Swallow. For photos see my eBird report at:

 http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S37144303
<http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S37144303>

In looking through the internet I was able to find only a very few reports
of melanistic swallows in North America, when you think about how many
people are looking at large flocks of swallows all over North America this
must be a rare occurrence, even rarer than seeing a Cave Swallow in Nova
Scotia ( which has been reported four times in eBird )! Looking at it this
way we had a great day!

Cheers,
George Forsyth

--001a114f0312851789055062a496

th and I went to try to see a reported Cave Swallow in Halifax Co. We were =
unsuccessful in this effort, but were able to see thirty species while stan=
ding around the pond behind the shopping mall and visiting with the many bi=
at we were able to see among the Tree and Barn Swallows was one apparent me=
lanistic Tree Swallow. For photos see my eBird report at:<br><br><a href=3D=
"http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S37144303"><font color=3D"red=
"><b>MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "ebird.org" cla=
iming to be</b></font> =C2=A0http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S=
d only a very few reports of melanistic swallows in North America, when you=
 think about how many people are looking at large flocks of swallows all ov=
er North America this must be a rare <span class=3D"gmail-dc_bld gmail-dc_s=