[NatureNS] Wood anenome, wild leeks, blue cohosh

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 08:18:53 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a11425fc4ab9b0d05506b8090

On a short canoe trip from the 201 bridge to Middleton, we saw a bluff at a
bend on the Nictaux with old red maples and interrupted ferns. Looking
closer, there was a thick band of bellwort, uvularia sessifolia, a marker
of seasonal high water on many rivers. Getting out we found patches of the
enchanting wood anemone and wild leek, both rare Appalachian deciduous
forest herbs of the south, and closer on there was one patch of blue
cohosh. The leek and cohosh were undoubtedly important to the Mi'kmaq and
bellwort and anenome are known to have pharmacologic usages. The bluff
above the river would have been a Mi'kmaw camp when shad teemed up the
Nictaux as they did this week.
Good days
Sean Basquill if DNR found this amazing site ten years ago.
Nick

--001a11425fc4ab9b0d05506b8090

e saw a bluff at a bend on the Nictaux with old red maples and interrupted =
ferns. Looking closer, there was a thick band of bellwort, uvularia sessifo=
lia, a marker of seasonal high water on many rivers. Getting out we found p=
atches of the enchanting wood anemone and wild leek, both rare Appalachian =
deciduous forest herbs of the south, and closer on there was one patch of b=
lue cohosh. The leek and cohosh were undoubtedly important to the Mi&#39;km=
aq and bellwort and anenome are known to have pharmacologic usages. The blu=
ff above the river would have been a Mi&#39;kmaw camp when shad teemed up t=
he Nictaux as they did this week.<div dir=3D"auto">Good days</div><div dir=
=3D"auto">Sean Basquill if DNR found this amazing site ten years ago.</div>=

--001a11425fc4ab9b0d05506b8090--