[NatureNS] Thornless Multiflora Rose

From: David Currie <david_currie@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 18:52:59 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-90E3688E-B7F5-47B7-80FD-8E8CC10E5D59

Very much agree with David's account of the thornless variety of multiflora.=
 I've had these planted (8 plants), for 15 years. They have not only enhance=
d the privacy value of suburban living but certainly the benefits to pollina=
tors and birds are obvious plus the fragrance is wonderful as you know.=20

The garden has attracted many more species that would not have stopped there=
 otherwise, including waxwings, catbirds, mockingbird, brown thrashers and c=
ardinals plus several warblers species including chats.=20

I can also make the same offer for anyone in the HRM area to take a cutting h=
ome to try.

Dave=20

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 5:17 PM, David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
>=20
> Dear All,                                                June 22, 2017
>     I am back, at least long enough to send this e-mail, but continue to b=
e  swamped with the task of getting Alison settled into a Nursing Home. So t=
ime will tell.
>     =20
>     I wish to draw your attention to a 'thornless' strain of Multiflora Ro=
se which, on the one site where I have been able to observe it (home), fruit=
s well and is mobbed in late winter by Waxwings. The small thorns, present n=
ear the ends of current growth are weak and soon shed so I think the term th=
ornless is justified.=20
>     The initial stand was a mixture of thorned and thornless but by select=
ively cutting the thorned strain off over a period of >5 years the thornless=
 strain was able to take over and snuff out the thorned  strain.
>     I tried to root cuttings this year soon after leaves emerged and all f=
our cuttings developed roots in a glass of water within 7-10 days.
>     If this thornless strain were widely planted as an ornamental or for h=
abitat improvement purposes (late winter bird food, erosion control...) then=
 crossing with the thorned might yield a less thorned and less obnoxious sui=
te of hybrids.
>     At the very least such plantings would enable enjoyment of the benefit=
s of Multiflora Rose (pleasant odor of blossoms, attractive plant year round=
, good erosion control, local wind-break, food for pollinating insects, late=
 winter food for mobs of Waxings and, I suspect, food for one to two bird mo=
bs of Cardinals) without the detriment of large, curved and sharp thorns whi=
ch seem to reach out and grab exposed flesh.
>     It is in full bloom now (June 22, 2017) and I don't yet know whether s=
hoot tips/or side shoots will readily root throughout the growing season or o=
nly shortly after leaf emergence. Sterile shoots are currently pale and look=
 weak and I assume are being drained by nearby flowering shoots.=20
> =20
>     If anyone would care to try this plant then let me know and I will try=
 to get a rooted cutting into your hands within a year.
> =20
> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
> =20
>   =20
>   =20
>=20
> 	Virus-free. www.avg.com

--Apple-Mail-90E3688E-B7F5-47B7-80FD-8E8CC10E5D59

f the thornless variety of multiflora. I've had these planted (8 plants), fo=
r 15 years. They have not only enhanced the privacy value of suburban living=
 but certainly the benefits to pollinators and birds are obvious plus the fr=
agrance is wonderful as you know.&nbsp;</div><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature">=
pecies that would not have stopped there otherwise, including waxwings, catb=
irds, mockingbird, brown thrashers and cardinals plus several warblers speci=
 id=3D"AppleMailSignature">I can also make the same offer for anyone in the H=
RM area to take a cutting home to try.</div><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature"><=
a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br><b=

">

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20=

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20=

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; June 22, 2017</div>
=20
but&nbsp;continue to be &nbsp;swamped&nbsp;with the task of getting&nbsp;Ali=
son=20
settled into a Nursing Home.&nbsp;So time will tell.</div>
n of=20
Multiflora Rose which, on the one site where I have been able to observe it=20=

(home), fruits well and is mobbed in late winter by Waxwings. The small thor=
ns,=20
present&nbsp;near the ends of current growth&nbsp;are weak and soon shed so I=
=20
think the term thornless is justified.&nbsp;</div>
less=20
but by selectively cutting the thorned strain off over a period of &gt;5 yea=
rs=20
the thornless strain was able to take over and snuff out the thorned=20
strain.</div>
=20
emerged and&nbsp;all four cuttings developed roots in a glass of water withi=
n=20
7-10 days.</div>

ornamental or for habitat improvement purposes&nbsp;(late winter bird=20
food,&