=?UTF-8?Q?Re:_[NatureNS]_Fwd:_Take_your_feeders_down_say_experts_?=

To: NaturenNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 20:15:18 -0300

--------------F4DA87107B2195D1141E7311

I am leaving mine up at the moment.  I have no Purple Finches and the
American Goldfinches and Black-capped Chickadees arrive singly and are
eating my sunflower seeds from a tube feeder and seem healthy.  Downy
Woodpeckers are regular visitors to my peanut feeder.  All of them, as
well as House Sparrows, are bringing their young and I feel I am doing
them a service, especially considering the diseases cutting their
numbers down elsewhere.  I have taken down my tray feeder as that is
just inviting disease through bird poop and vomit.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 7/7/2017 7:48 AM, Veronica Horsman wrote:
> Thank you Don for sending around this email; I have since taken down
> my feeder. I had TWO female purple finches die on my yesterday. One I
> found, fat and lethargic at our feeder and my husband found another on
> our deck. Interestingly enough, we started the season with more
> variety at the feeder but it was soon overtaken by the Purple Finch
> and American Goldfinch. Are they known the be the pigs of the finch
> world?
>
> -Veronica Goodfellow
> Middle LaHave, N.S
>
> On 6 July 2017 at 17:56, GayleMacLean <duartess@eastlink.ca
> <mailto:duartess@eastlink.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Admittedly, I did not put ANY feeders up, at all, this Spring or
>     summer, but mostly because of  the raiding racoons, here in our
>     neighbourhood. Total destroyers of any and ALL birdfeeders!!
>     Regardless, have lots of Cardinals, Robins, Woodpeckers, Flickers,
>     Goldfinches, Yellow Warblers, grackles, RW Blackbirds, Song
>     Sparrows, nesting,  singing, and showing up in my backyard (which
>     backs onto a lovely greenbelt with a brook running through
>     it) this summer! I only saw Purple Finches earlier this year. Lots
>     to eat, for most, though, obviously!!
>     Gayle MacLean
>     Glenwood Avenue
>     Dartmouth
>     On 07/06/17 04:36 PM, *Don MacNeill *<donmacneill@bellaliant.net
>     <mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net>> wrote:
>>

>>     Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
>>     <mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
>>

>>     http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/prince-edward-island/dead-birds-sick-trichomoniasis-pei-disease-canadian-wildlife-health-cooperative-1.4191228
>>     <http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/prince-edward-island/dead-birds-sick-trichomoniasis-pei-disease-canadian-wildlife-health-cooperative-1.4191228>

--------------F4DA87107B2195D1141E7311

  <head>

  </head>
        no Purple Finches and the American Goldfinches and Black-capped
        Chickadees arrive singly and are eating my sunflower seeds from
        a tube feeder and seem healthy.  Downy Woodpeckers are regular
        visitors to my peanut feeder.  All of them, as well as House
        Sparrows, are bringing their young and I feel I am doing them a
        service, especially considering the diseases cutting their
        numbers down elsewhere.  I have taken down my tray feeder as
        that is just inviting disease through bird poop and vomit.  <br>
        Don<br>
          class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
          href="mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net"
          moz-do-not-send="true">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a></div>
        wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAK7bWW1cKWfL7tR6PLs6-ET0tcT20CvnVrbMZoXxqywR6OfPiw@mail.gmail.com">
          have since taken down my feeder. I had TWO female purple
          finches die on my yesterday. One I found, fat and lethargic at
          our feeder and my husband found another on our deck.
          Interestingly enough, we started the season with more variety
          at the feeder but it was soon overtaken by the Purple Finch
          and American Goldfinch. Are they known the be the pigs of the
          finch world?
                target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">duartess@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;</span>
            wrote:<br>
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                this Spring or summer, but mostly because of  the
                raiding racoons, here in our neighbourhood. Total
                destroyers of any and ALL birdfeeders!! Regardless, have
                lots of Cardinals, Robins, Woodpeckers, Flickers,
                Goldfinches, Yellow Warblers, grackles, RW Blackbirds,
                Song Sparrows, nesting,  singing, and showing up in my
                backyard (which backs onto a lovely greenbelt with a
                brook running through it) this summer! I only saw Purple
                Finches earlier this year. Lots to eat, for most,
                though, obviously!!</div>
                      class="m_-5153543319442335517name">Don MacNeill </b>&lt;<a
                      href="mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net"
                      target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a>&gt;
                    wrote:</span>
                    style="PADDING-LEFT:13px;MARGIN-LEFT:0px;BORDER-LEFT:#00f
                    1px solid" type="cite">
                      m_-5153543319442335517text
                      m_-5153543319442335517plain"><br>
                      Don MacNeill <a