[NatureNS] Moths & butterflies

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Doug Linzey <doug@fundymud.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 22:45:32 -0300

Three things:

1. Yesterday a Hummingbird Clearwing moth joined a few hundred honeybees
on our lavender. Fantastic insect: very colourful, behaves just like a
hummingbird, with incredible control at amazing speeds (wings are
constantly and literally a vague blur).

2. Yesterday and today asmall irruption of Painted Ladies in the
aforementioned lavender (certainly not the massive invasion of a few
years ago, but nice to see them back).

3. To the mothfolks (Jim Edsell, your rare Acleris forsskaleana prompts
me to do this): I take photos of the amazing variety of moths that
accumulate on the wall outside my patio door. Is anyone interested in
viewing these photos just in case there's something rare?

A couple of weeks ago I witnessed five Luna Mothsin one evening,
including one attempted mating (clearly unsuccessful-- interesting how
the females become almost comatose once they settle down). I didn't hang
around all night, so all kinds of action may have happened.

Cheers,
Doug Linzey
Arlington, NS (North Mountain, Kings Co.)