[NatureNS] A Hopeful Perspective on NS Forestry

From: Caitlin Porter <caitlinjmporter@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 11:48:57 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

all,&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o
--001a114d42fc3a545d0555398ccb

Hi all,

One mechanism for protecting amazing forest parcels, eg. old growth forest,
on your property is through a private land conservation organization. Those
groups sometimes have the ability to help landowners protect their property
through a conservation easement - that's a legal document that maintains
conservation values on a property "in perpetuity".

Those charity groups who do this work have only a few staff on hand and
limited resources. Putting a conservation easement on a property and
maintaining that over time is a time consuming legal process that requires
fairly substantial funding from the NGO to cover those legal fees, future
monitoring of the lands, etc. That means these groups only have the ability
to take on certain properties that they can get funding to take on. They
usually have fairly strict criteria for being able to take on a property.
Despite that, I'd encourage anyone with something exceptional on their
lands that they'd like to see protected to contact an NGO such as the
Nature Trust or the Nature Conservancy of Canada and explore what options
might be possible. Just keep in mind that the funding might not be there
and that the amazing folks who work for those NGOs are working really hard
behind the scenes and so it may take some time for them to respond to your
calls or emails.

Katie Porter

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 9:47 AM, John Kearney <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca=

wrote:

> Hi Dave and all,
>
> I agree that we need more alternatives for saving our patches of land for
> future generations.
>
> A number of years ago, on one my birding field trips, I came upon a
> 95-year old farmer working a small patch of land, surrounded by a mature
> Sugar Maple-Yellow Birch forest, in the high country of Pictou County wit=
> a beautiful view of the valley below. In the course of our conversation h=
> expressed cynacism about what his relatives would do with the land when h=
> passed away, and he lamented the fact that he knew of no way to ensure th=
> protection of his lifetime of work in caring for the land. Today that lan=
> is part of an industrial-scale wind energy facility. It makes me wonder
> what Nova Scotia would be or could be like if all these patches were
> preserved. The choice is not between progress and a romantic clinging to
> the past as some might argue. Rather it is I believe, a choice between
> seeing the land as a commodity for our personal use and profit, or as a
> heritage, a work of art even, that we have a collective responsibility to
> care for and enhance during the time we dwell on the land.
>
> John

 easement - that&#39;s a legal document that maintains conservation values =
ose charity groups who do this work have only a few staff on hand and limit=
ed resources. Putting a conservation easement on a property and maintaining=
 that over time is a time consuming legal process that requires fairly subs=
tantial funding from the NGO to cover those legal fees, future monitoring o=
f the lands, etc. That means these groups only have the ability to take on =
certain properties that they can get funding to take on. They usually have =
fairly strict criteria for being able to take on a property. Despite that, =
I&#39;d encourage anyone with something exceptional on their lands t