[NatureNS] Responses of July 26

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: "naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 19:42:12 -0300

Dear All,
    Rather than respond to each of the posts I will try a generic approach.

    First of all, drawing from Mark Twain with a minor twist, I notice that
the rumor to the effect that traffic on Naturens had died was a grave
exaggeration.

   To get things going all it takes is a few poorly chosen words. So to be
safe, I will simply quote the passage about Aldo Leopold which I had half
remembered from National Geographic 160(5):p.703. "Leopold believed that the
future of American wildlife lay largely on private land, in the attitudes
and decisions-- wise or unwise-- of American farmers, not in the tape of
bureaucracy." Amen to that.

    I have been a avid fan of A Sand County Almanac for 61 years and some of
the first 162 pages, and especially the first 92 are worn from being read
numerous times. How could anyone improve upon the likes of "And in this
annual barter of food for light, and winter warmth for summer solitude, the
whole continent receives as net profit a wild poem dropped from the murky
skies upon the muds of March "?

     This morning I hauled a load of wood and was delighted to find two
Garter Snakes in the tier. They took a beating after the winter of 2008-2009
(?) when about 2" of ice formed between snow and soil which naturally wiped
out the small rodents and led to no snakes seen there until 2016 (drawing on
memory).

Yt, DW, Kentville

---