[NatureNS] Wire Birch

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: "naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 19:15:40 -0300

Dear All,                                            July 30, 2017
    Wire Birch (Betula populifolia) is a great indicator of soil conditions.
It ranges from knee-high runts on very coarse sand soils to vigorous trees
up to 36 cm diameter at the butt on good loam. And on good loam they are
much visited by Sapsuckers.
    Today I hauled one that I cut last year so I took time to measure the
butt piece. Due to a sucker sprout which had grown against one side it was
lopsided; 37 cm x 30 cm and, as near as I could tell after gouging a
channel, it was 36 years old. It had an unusually good supply of light; few
large nearby trees and therefore was highly branched to yield nearly 1/3
cord of firewood.     It had reached maturity; it weathered the dry years in
the late 90s but branch tips had started to die back last year. The stump
has no sprouts.
    The tier, top covered with plastic, acts as a shelter for small animals.
This one had two empty mouse nests, few ants, fragments of many insects
(mostly beetles) and a medium sized Garter Snake.

    YT, DW, Kentville

---