Re[4]: [NatureNS] Woods walk in North Alton

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 20:59:24 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--089e0822b100ce7cad05583daa9a

Nature never used to need our help. Regional biodiversity needs more wild,
old-process forest. Bits of fallen twigs, decaying snags, mossy embedded
trunks...humus cavity nesters wild flowers.
This is known. There were landmark studies that asked whether logged
woodlands ever recovered their vernal herb diversities.
It's important that we don"t get too cute and as naturalists start to argue
that managed forests do the same as wild forest or that carbon is the
dominant yardstick. We have very little wild forest and much multiple
cutover forest. Anything any of us can do to replace ourselves as manager
with nature will help.

We are too complacent. With so little crown land and so little ecological
management of it, we should be arguing for crown lands to be wild land.

Nick