[NatureNS] Nocturnal migration for the 1st Week of October

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 21:15:47 -0300

span&gt;&lt;/

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D3478D.1E9AAB10

Hi Keith.

Very good questions. Yellow-rumped Warblers are long-distance migrants but
are interesting because they are known to migrate south not only in the
autumn but also in the winter. Studies in New England have shown that
Yellow-rumped Warblers will move further south in the middle of a severe
winter and not do so during a mild winter. One therefore has to wonder if
Yellow-rumps wintering in coastal Nova Scotia die off during a cold snap or
depart for warmer climes.

There is some evidence from tagging and observational studies that
Yellow-rumped Warblers don't like to cross large bodies of water. I tend to
think the Yellow-rumps that I'm detecting at Cape Forchu recently are a
mixture of birds that were travelling southwest over Nova Scotia and others
that were displaced by wind from the west, but in both cases are now heading
west-northwest over the Bay of Fundy.

Indigo Buntings nest not that far from us and could have been driven here by
weather from the west or perhaps are young birds exploring new territory as
this species is undergoing range expansion.

American Robins winter mainly in the southeastern USA from Delaware south.
The ones that winter here tend to concentrate in coastal areas with good
berry crops. Last winter we had a fluky late winter invasion in southwest
Nova Scotia of robins that appeared to be from the Delaware region and
dropped here and on Cape Cod by a weather bomb. These birds seem to have
returned south again after the event.

Black-capped Chickadees are said to undergo periodic eruptions of juvenile
birds rather than having true migration. I will detect a few Black-capped
Chickadees every year in my nocturnal recordings in October. However, one
morning in Antigonish County along the Northumberland Strait I had 800
Chickadees literally fall from the sky around me. They all flew northeast
and a few minutes later came back and flew southwest.

Song Sparrows have migratory populations in the north of their range (like
Nova Scotia) but have sedentary populations in the southern part of their
range. It is believed our Song Sparrows leap-frog over the sedentary
populations to winter in the southern USA. But obviously there is a
sedentary component to our population as well.

John