[NatureNS] observation and dogma

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <Neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 08:16:27 +0000

no
--_000_DM5PR16MB1449A9FFB3AA50BECA523582D1460DM5PR16MB1449namp_

Hello David,

You are quite right that it can be difficult to change the mind of any of u=
s who have a fixed opinion on something and have not been able to study the=
 question in the field.

  I'm not sure that anyone has claimed that ancient woodland is the best ty=
pe of cover - certainly it is not if you are a moose.  What most conservati=
onists and naturalists seek is a good diversity of the forest types and sta=
ges naturally occurring in a given area, since each stage and type has tree=
s, shrubs, herbaceous plants, birds and other animals adapted to it.  All t=
hese stages are important to ensure biological diversity and to protect thr=
eatened species.   Old-growth forests may have less diversity of species th=
an some others (edge habitats usually have the most diversity), but for tho=
se that live there they are essential, and our focus needs to be on protect=
ing them because they are the most endangered forest ecosystems here and th=
ey take the longest to regenerate.  Certainly there is no shortage of the e=
arly forest stages preferred by deer and moose.  It seems that our forest m=
anagers are making some effort to see that "harvested" areas grow back to a=
 sort of forest that will provide more fibre in the shortest time but have =
little or no interest in allowing it to grow to subsequent successional sta=
ges or ensuring that all forest types are represented.  I'll leave it to th=
e forest ecologists on the list to give more details if they wish.

Wayne P. Neily
Tremont, Kings Co., Nova Scotia

 "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost, 1923 [Stopping by Woods on=
 a Snowy Evening]

"Think globally, Act locally." - Ren=E9 Dubos, 1972.