[NatureNS] Nocturnal Migration for the 4th Week of October

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 17:58:02 -0400
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

n records of their movements!&amp;nbsp;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;John, are there any stations
--94eb2c03103cf01b13055d4370cd

Hi Carmel,
You have asked some very insightful questions. The Acadia U. research team
led by Phil Taylor is very interested in these topics and David Bell is
currently doing his Masters degree on specific parts of this, regarding the
true rarities in particular (in general, not just this fallout). There
should be publications eventually but perhaps Dave could give a few
thoughts.
Regards,
Rick Whitman

On 5 November 2017 at 14:17, Carmel Smith <girlby@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> the birds which have ended up here have ever been to this area. Some of
> them perhaps, but the fact they end up here in this situation wouldn't ha=
ve
> any bearing on where these individuals have their breeding grounds. Does
> familiarity with the territory influence how swiftly they can recover and
> find their way back on a track to their normal wintering grounds? The
> Magnolias in your last report, are they back on track quickly because the=
> are individuals who were breeding here? Were they swept in from a nearer
> area than all the catbirds, tanagers, grosbeaks, etc.?
>
> All questions I ponder... and have to say, your last reports gave a
> glimpse...but how much more we could learn if the stations were still up
> and we could see more of their migration, since they are still here. The
> reports are still coming in, and as people move away from the hotspots an=
> check other areas, they are discovering more birds in pockets where they
> find suitable cover and food. These areas are not always right at the
> coast, though often within several km of the ocean. I hope the data being
> accumulated will be examined for these facts as well (where the birds fou=
nd
> a spot to recover and how they move out from there--ebird being a major
> data source for this). Though the lack of birders--except for those who
> frequent the hotspots and check out areas already reported to harbour
> vagrants--will mean many are missed. At least until they end up in one of
> the funnels in the Southwest; hopefully the diligence of birders in the
> exit areas will give a good snapshot of the departure patterns.
>
> Which brings me back to my original thought--how awesome it would be to b=
> able to have nocturnal migration records of their movements!
>
> John, are there any stations still in operation?
>
> thanks again for your dedicated work!
>
> Carmel Smith
> Midville Branch, L'burg County, NS
>
> On Sunday, November 5, 2017, 1:32:52 PM AST, John Kearney <
> john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

> Hi All,
>
> The last report for this year=E2=80=99s autumn nocturnal migration in Yar=
mouth
> County is posted on my webpage at the following links.
>

> Carleton: http://johnfkearney.com/Carleton_Yarmouth_County_2017.html
>

> Cape Forchu: http://johnfkearney.com/Cape_Forchu_Yarmouth_County_2017.htm=
>

> Although migration volume was low this week, the report provides some dat=
> on the historic fallout of 26-30 October from a nocturnal perspective.
>

> John

--94eb2c03103cf01b13055d4370cd

ns. The Acadia U. research team led by Phil Taylor is very interested in th=
ese topics and David Bell is currently doing his Masters degree on specific=
 parts of this, regarding the true rarities in particular (in general, not =
just this fallout). There should be publications eventually but perhaps Dav=
ber 2017 at 14:17, Carmel Smith <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:gir=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"font-family:verdana,helve=
tica,sans-serif;font-size:16px"><div></div>
t the winds forecast necessitated the take-down of the monitoring equipment=
! It would be amazing to find out more about how the fallout birds leave. Q=
uestions such as: When they leave, answering questions of how long they han=
g on in the province after landing; What routes they take to leave; How the=
y leave--whether there is a mass outflow or do they just straggle along as =
they leave?=C2=A0<br><br>I also wonder how the familiarity of the territory=
 affects how they leave? In other words, we have no reason to believe--as f=
ar as I can tell--that the birds which have ended up here have ever been to=
 this area. Some of them perhaps, but the fact they end up here in this sit=
uation wouldn&#39;t have any bearing on where these individuals have their =
breeding grounds. Does familiarity with the territory influence how swiftly=
 they can recover and find their way back on a track to their normal winter=
ing grounds? The Magnolias in your last report, are they back on track quic=
kly because they are individuals who were breeding here? Were they swept in=
 from a nearer area than all the catbirds, tanagers, grosbeaks, etc.?<br><b=
r>All questions I ponder... and have to say, your last reports gave a glimp=
se...but how much more we could learn if the stations were still up and we =
could see more of their migration, since they are still here. The reports a=
re still coming in, and as people move away from the hotspots and check oth=