[NatureNS] Ruffed Grouse question

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 13:34:25 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

A post on the NSBS FB page a few months or so ago indicated Ruffed Grouse eat Spruce needles in winter. True? I’ve noted them feeding on buds while in hardwoods and seen them perched in conifers but never noticed them eating the needles.

Lately I always encounter Ruffed Grouse in groups of 4 or 5. Once one flies off, wait a few seconds then the next is whirring by, then another and so on.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.

Sent from my iPad