[NatureNS] Forest soil improvement

From: David Simpson <david.sonsimp@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 17:13:03 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--94eb2c0551a4cebdb4056130a19e

Delightful to read. Merry Christmas,

Dave in Hantsport

On Monday, December 25, 2017, David <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>     In the winter of about 1942-43, when dad was just back from overseas
with a hernia and medical discharge, he started cutting firewood in an area
now still in woodland with the intent to break it for farmland. He cut what
he could with an axe and I went down after school and on Saturdays to work
one end of the crosscut saw. At my urging he reserved about 2 acres of this
as woodland.  The SE 3/4 of this is former farmland on which tree growth
was and still is impressive. We selectively cut White Pine that winter
using horse and snig road. A brother cut everything worth cutting and
extracted logs by tractor and bunt in about 1954 and I had it selectively
logged in 2002 and again in 2017 so the remaining trees could grow well.
>     And after being logged four times since 1942 there is still a fairly
dense stand of Pine there as well as a smattering of mostly young hardwood
and a dense windbreak along the exposed south side.
>     It has gradually dawned on me that the combination of Cornwallis
Sandy loam for deep rooting, upper profile disturbance (cleared at some
point in the past) and intensive management may explain this impressive
productivity.
>     [By way of background this patch, and much more, was woodland when
Grandfather Webster, born 1854 hunted there when young because he told dad
how surprised he was to find, in woods, remnants of a sled road which led
to a small clearing with a very large apple tree on the south side. So that
upper profile disturbance goes back to at least 1820. That clearing {a
dooryard} was still there in 1939 and the apple tree remains were then
becoming soil.]

>     By way of contrast the very good Morristown Loam soil at North Alton,
when limited by bonsai profile conditions, can take 50 years to grow a runt
spruce of zero DBH.

>      Consequently I have become a fan of forest soil improvement/ upper
profile disturbance with priority given to sites where most improvement at
minimum risk/cost can be expected.

--
*Dave in Halifax*

David Simpson
(902) 580 8007
david.sonsimp@gmail.com

--94eb2c0551a4cebdb4056130a19e

day, December 25, 2017, David &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com">dwe=
he winter of about 1942-43, when dad was just back from overseas with a her=
nia and medical discharge, he started cutting firewood in an area now still=
 in woodland with the intent to break it for farmland. He cut what he could=
 with an axe and I went down after school and on Saturdays to work one end =
of the crosscut saw. At my urging he reserved about 2 acres of this as wood=
land.=C2=A0 The SE 3/4 of this is former farmland on which tree growth was =
and still is impressive. We selectively cut White Pine that winter using ho=
rse and snig road. A brother cut everything worth cutting and extracted log=
s by tractor and bunt in about 1954 and I had it selectively logged in 2002=
 and again in 2017 so the remaining trees could grow well.<br>&gt; =C2=A0 =
=C2=A0 And after being logged four times since 1942 there is still a fairly=
 dense stand of Pine there as well as a smattering of mostly young hardwood=
 and a dense windbreak along the exposed south side.<br>&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =
It has gradually dawned on me that the combination of Cornwallis Sandy loam=
 for deep rooting, upper profile disturbance (cleared at some point in the =
past) and intensive management may explain this impressive productivity.<br=
>&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 [By way of background this patch, and much more, was wo=
odland when Grandfather Webster, born 1854 hunted there when young because =
he told dad how surprised he was to find, in woods, remnants of a sled road=
 which led to a small clearing with a very large apple tree on the south si=
de. So that upper profile disturbance goes back to at least 1820. That clea=
ring {a dooryard} was still there in 1939 and the apple tree remains were t=
hen becoming soil.]<br>&gt;<br>&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 By way of contrast the ve=
ry good Morristown Loam soil at North Alton, when limited by bonsai profile=
 conditions, can take 50 years to grow a runt spruce of zero DBH.<br>&gt;<b=
r>&gt; =C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Consequently I have become a fan of forest soil =
improvement/ upper profile disturbance with priority given to sites where m=
ost improvement at minimum risk/cost can be expected.=C2=A0<br>&gt; Happy N=
=3D"color:rgb(255,0,0);font-size:large">Dave in Halifax</i></div><div style=
=3D"font-size:small"><i style=3D"color:rgb(255,0,0);font-size:large"><br></=
ef=3D"mailto:david.sonsimp@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">david.sonsimp@gmail=

--94eb2c0551a4cebdb4056130a19e--