Re[2]: [NatureNS] Carbon capture

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.100]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 22:34:07 +0000

--------=_MBCDE56E06-B94A-439B-9FB4-96705D84E737

Hi Rick & All,
     I am delighted to hear that biochar (new term to me; are there other=
=20
origins of charcoal ?) has been and is being investigated for effective=20
carbon storage because I have for decades thought manufacture of terra=20
preta in quantity was more likely to save the world than meetings and=20
pledges.
     And I think that you have every right to be proud of your daughters=20
and, I hasten to add, equally right if they had happened to be sons. I=20
just hope that 'manufacture' of terra preta will soon replace study.=20
Terra preta to 3 metres on our sand barren soils, for example, could not=20
only store much carbon but convert these soils to highly productive=20
woodland-- for the manufacture of more charcoal.
     Now it is my turn to 'boast' a bit. I was hired to study Orchard=20
Soil Fertility and soon concluded that physical limitations in the soil=20
profile were far far (repetition intentional) more important than=20
nutrient limitations and spent some decades establishing guidelines. The=20
same considerations apply to forest soils only to a greater degree=20
because, with few exceptions, soils with fewer physical limitations=20
became farmland and the rejects were left as woodland. So I have good=20
reason to think that terra preta is not only a good way to store carbon=20
but a great way to increase soil productivity, especially of droughty=20
soils. END OF SERMON.

Yt, DW,  Kentville