[NatureNS] Indigo Bunting and American Kestrel Mason's Beach

From: <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 20:34:10 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01D38276.B6CBD5C0

This afternoon (Dec 31 2017) I was cycling up the hill between Fader's =
Cove and Mason's Beach when I flushed a small bird near the top. Had it =
not come from the ground I would have passed it off as a dull American =
Goldfinch. It made it's way to the bottom of the hill, landed in a bush =
and immediately dropped to the ground. Of course that meant I would be =
going back down the hill. I coasted down stashed the bike and began =
trying to get photos. Each time a car went by the bird would fly a =
little farther up the hill, always staying out of range of my camera. =
Eventually we made it to the top and I got a rather unimpressive shot =
that  would confirm it as an Indigo Bunting. Back down to get my bike =
then up the hill a third time, by now the bird was nowhere to be seen.=20

I continued on to Mason's Beach where an American Kestrel flashed across =
the road and landed in some spruce behind the motel's cottages. We had =
missed both of these birds yesterday.=20

I had no luck finding the Eastern Towhee seen by Clarence Steven's Jr =
during the count though there is enough multiflora there that it could =
have easily eluded me.

Kevin Lantz
Front Centre
------=_NextPart_000_001D_01D38276.B6CBD5C0

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial'; COLOR: #000000">
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">This afternoon (Dec =
31 2017) I=20
was cycling up the hill between Fader's Cove and Mason's Beach when I =
flushed a=20
small bird near the top. Had it not come from the ground I would have =
passed it=20
off as a dull American Goldfinch. It made it's way to the bottom of the =
hill,=20
landed in a bush and immediately dropped to the ground. Of course that =
meant I=20
would be going back down the hill. I coasted down stashed the bike and =
began=20
trying to get photos. Each time a car went by the bird would fly a =
little=20
farther up the hill, always staying out of range of my camera. =
Eventually we=20
made it to the top and I got a rather unimpressive shot that<SPAN=20
style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>would confirm it as an Indigo =
Bunting.=20
Back down to get my bike then up the hill a third time, by now the bird =
was=20
nowhere to be seen. </SPAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">I continued on to =
Mason's=20
Beach where an American Kestrel flashed across the road and landed in =
some=20
spruce behind the motel's cottages. We had missed both of these birds =
yesterday.=20
</SPAN></P>
<DIV><SPAN=20
style=3D'FONT-FAMILY: ; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; =
mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language: en-ca; =
mso-fareast-language: en-us; mso-bidi-language: ar-sa'>I=20
had no luck finding the Eastern Towhee seen by Clarence Steven's Jr =
during the=20
count though there is enough multiflora there that it could have easily =
eluded=20
me.</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN=20
style=3D'FONT-FAMILY: ; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; =
mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language: en-ca; =
mso-fareast-language: en-us; mso-bidi-language: =
ar-sa'></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN=20
style=3D'FONT-FAMILY: ; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; =
mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language: en-ca; =
mso-fareast-language: en-us; mso-bidi-language: ar-sa'>Kevin=20
Lantz</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN=20
style=3D'FONT-FAMILY: ; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; =
mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language: en-ca; =
mso-fareast-language: en-us; mso-bidi-language: ar-sa'>Front=20
Centre</SPAN></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01D38276.B6CBD5C0--