[NatureNS] Little Auk (Dovekie)

From: Veronica Horsman <veronicahorsman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 19:42:19 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a114c4c108c417d0562b0ee89

I went back to check on the bird around 3pm and it was gone. Since there
were no signs of distress around the area in which the bird was, I crossed
my fingers that it got away okay and managed to get to either the brook or
one of the many pond-like puddles that had formed on the lawn due to the
rain. I saw no auk pancake on the road in front of our house (the LaHave is
on the other side of it). In any case, if I ever meet another Little Auk,
I'll know to release it from the waters edge.

On 13 January 2018 at 14:56, Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
wrote:

> It won't be able to fly from land.  It's feet are too far back.  It will
> have to be picked up and put in the water.
>
> Don
>
> Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
> On 1/13/2018 1:37 PM, Veronica Horsman wrote:
>
> Currently providing safe harbour for a Little Auk under my front porch.
> Observed it for about 20 minutes on the front lawn, having trouble and
> being blown around by the rain and wind, currently happening along the
> LaHave.
>
> I don't think it is hurt but it did seem exhausted when I approached it,
> though it was able to scuttle away from me before I was able to pick it up.
> When I last checked (5 minutes ago), it was comfortably sitting under the
> porch, looking around at me.
>
> The questions are, has anyone else seen one in this state and what do I
> do, since it is not visibly injured (though I know when you see a bird
> unnaturally on the ground, it is never a good sign)?
>
> All the best,
> Veronica

--001a114c4c108c417d0562b0ee89

e. Since there were no signs of distress around the area in which the bird =
was, I crossed my fingers that it got away okay and managed to get to eithe=
r the brook or one of the many pond-like puddles that had formed on the law=
n due to the rain. I saw no auk pancake on the road in front of our house (=
the LaHave is on the other side of it). In any case, if I ever meet another=
 Little Auk, I&#39;ll know to release it from the waters edge.=C2=A0</div><=
div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 13 January 2018=
 at 14:56, Don MacNeill <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:donmacneill=
@bellaliant.net" target=3D"_blank">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a>&gt;</span=
> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bo=
rder-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
#39;s feet
      are too far back.=C2=A0 It will have to be picked up and put in the w=
ater.<br>
      Don<br>
      <a class=3D"m_2533106564914686744moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"ma=
ilto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net" target=3D"_blank">donmacneill@bellaliant.n=
M, Veronica Horsman
      wrote:<br>
        under my front porch. Observed it for about 20 minutes on the
        front lawn, having trouble and being blown around by the rain
        and wind, currently happening along the LaHave.
          approached it, though it was able to scuttle away from me
          before I was able to pick it up. When I last checked (5
          minutes ago), it was comfortably sitting under the porch,
          looking around at me.</div>
          and what do I do, since it is not visibly injured (though I
          know when you see a bird unnaturally on the ground, it is
          never a good sign)?</div>

--001a114c4c108c417d0562b0ee89--