[NatureNS] Junco abundance

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 12:01:19 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D392AF.8CAAC410

Hi Eric and all,

These observations and those of others on the list about the abundance of
Juncos are very interesting. It seems to me there are two possibilities. The
first is that the recent snow and freezing rain made their food resources
inaccessible, and they headed to those places where humans removed the snow
and ice, namely driveways and roads. In addition, Juncos are known to be
highly social during the winter months and form large flocks as a foraging
strategy under severe weather conditions. The second possibility is, as you
suggest, that Juncos moved to Nova Scotia from another area. There is no
field evidence that Juncos migrate in the winter but one study of captive
Juncos in 1987 demonstrated the existence of migratory restlessness in
Juncos under conditions of food shortage through December up until
mid-January. This led to the theoretical conclusion that Juncos may continue
southward migration, depending on environmental conditions on the wintering
grounds, until about mid-January.

John