[NatureNS] White Point, Queens - Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 15:37:19 -0400

Today has been interesting. I have the catbird still about; a few
Chickadees, lots of American Goldfinches. Two Blue Jays showed up awhile ago
and tagging along is the Red Winged Blackbird. Few Juncos showed up
yesterday and this am but around 1 a number flew in and fed, they headed off
westward and a short time later a much large group flew in and have since
left.
We have White Throated Sparrows but just the odd Song Sparrow. That is
unusual. We usually have a number of each.
The numbers of small woodpeckers are increasing. This am there were what I
was pretty sure were 3 pairs or soon to be pairs of Downys but then a big
female Hairy rushed the seed cake and one of the males I though was a Downy
paid a good deal of attention to her. They left together and have since come
in and out.
The treat today  is a lovely Male Pileated Woodpecker. I even got a couple
distant photos. I know it is the kiss of death for that big Maple along side
the driveway but it hammered away for a time and has since headed out. The
Crows really gave it a hard time once they called in their numbers.
The Catbird sat at the top of the ash  around 5 yesterday afternoon and
called and called. It is the first time I have heard it say anything. For
the past few days there has just been the one. Yesterday in the rain, there
was a lot of bathing and singing and enjoying the rise in Temps. Not so much
this pm.
Best regards, Marg Millard.

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please