[NatureNS] Animal Tracks

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 15:33:28 -0400

--------------BBBF584154465789AF49AAE5

Hi Veronica.  We live half a block from the Halifax Shopping Centre with
no water close by.  A couple of people have suggested Short-tailed
Weasel (Ermine).  However, there is a furrow on each side going from
footprint to footrprint.  This is possibly a tail mark in which case the
tracks could be going one way and then back again which would suggest a
cat.  We may never know for sure.

Thanks for checking for me

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 2/11/2018 2:55 PM, Veronica Horsman wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> That's a tough one. Referring to Winter Nature Notes for Nova Scotians
> by Merritt Gibson and taking into account your measurements, the
> closest thing would be an otter (though other weasel types have that
> side-by-side track pattern). I suppose an otter could be in your area,
> depending on where in Halifax you live. Where there any plows through
> the snow, further down the line of tracks?
>
> -Veronica
>
> On 10 February 2018 at 21:40, Lois Codling
> <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca <mailto:loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>> wrote:
>
>     If you'll send your photos, Don, I'll try to look it up in our
>     Peterson's Field Guide to Animal Tracks.
>     Lois Codling
>

>     On 2/10/2018 9:15 AM, Don MacNeill wrote:
>>     When I looked out this morning there were some animal tracks on
>>     our back deck here in Halifax.  I have taken some photos and
>>     measurements.
>>
>>     Footprints were about 30 cm apart and were matched side to side.
>>     Distance between left and right was 7 cm.  Size of the footprint
>>     was about 11 cm.
>>
>>     If anyone can help, I'll send the photos.  My Nova Scotia
>>     "Animal  Signatures" pamphlet doesn't seem to help.
>>
>>     Don
>>     --
>>     Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
>>     <mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net>

--------------BBBF584154465789AF49AAE5

  <head>
  </head>
      Halifax Shopping Centre with no water close by.  A couple of
      people have suggested Short-tailed Weasel (Ermine).  However, there
      is a furrow on each side going from footprint to footrprint.  This
      is possibly a tail mark in which case the tracks could be going
      one way and then back again which would suggest a cat.  We may
      never know for sure.<br>
      Thanks for checking for me<br>
      Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAK7bWW1KU3ALA2XF0s4ze+XBDdJYHkasJvy83Kf+J9r4=8LkKg@mail.gmail.com">
          Nova Scotians by Merritt Gibson and taking into account your
          measurements, the closest thing would be an otter (though
          other weasel types have that side-by-side track pattern). I
          suppose an otter could be in your area, depending on where in
          Halifax you live. Where there any plows through the snow,
          further down the line of tracks?</div>
          Codling <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
              href="mailto:loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca" target="_blank"
              moz-do-not-send="true">loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              photos, Don, I'll try to look it up in our Peterson's
              Field Guide to Animal Tracks.<span class="HOEnZb"><font
                  color="#888888"><br>
                  Lois Codling <br>
                    2/10/2018 9:15 AM, Don MacNeill wrote:<br>
                      looked out this morning there were some animal
                      tracks on our back deck here in Halifax.  I have
                      taken some photos and measurements.<br>
                      Footprints were about 30 cm apart and were matched
                      side to side.  Distance between left and right was
                      7 cm.  Size of the footprint was about 11 cm.<br>
                      If anyone can help, I'll send the photos.  My Nova
                      Scotia "Animal  Signatures" pamphlet doesn't seem
                      to help.<br>
                      Don<br>
                      Don MacNeill <a
                        class="m_-7569015770916354390moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
                        href="mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net"
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a></div>

--------------BBBF584154465789AF49AAE5--