Re[2]: [NatureNS] WW Crossbills in Xmas tree farm

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 18:06:54 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-2A6F9C11-4713-402C-892F-785820702D30

It is my understanding the long grasses surrounding the fir trees are the re=
sult of suppressing hardwood growth by spraying. No competition equaling hap=
py grass. Xmas tree lots tend to be established on dry, rocky, nutrient poor=
 hill sides. I know nothing about amount, type, frequency of chemical treatm=
ents on this lot or others but have the impression it is not excessive. Hobb=
lebush and other shrubby plants are abundant in this lot in late summer.=20

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 24, 2018, at 3:44 PM, David <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
>=20
> Hi Nancy & All,
>     I know little about current cultural practices in Xmas tree plantation=
s but your  mention of thick grassy ground cover struck a chord. Other thing=
s being equal grasses tend to deep rooting (drawing on memory I found Couch r=
oots [Agropyron repens] down to 4 metres in relatively light orchard soils) b=
ecause grass feeder roots are typically small in diameter and can exploit so=
il voids which exclude stubby roots.=20
>     So a thick grassy ground cover implies nutrient retention in the soil (=
recycled to the surface) instead of being exported as leachate and consequen=
tly a nutrient rich habitat. (Because nutrients generated by fixation or wea=
thering are less subject to loss.)=20
>     Such conditions I associate with unusually diverse and abundant insect=
 populations. One of the best nearby examples is downslope of the "feather f=
actory" on route 12 just south of the Gaspereau River where for many years f=
eathers were rendered to be recycled as feed (I think) but the smell was qui=
te rich and some liquid seeped downslope. And Bees, Flies and Leps all appre=
ciated it. I have not been there recently so this may have changed by now.
>     But going back many decades, to canoe exploration days, locations of l=
ong gone logging camps with associated hauled in hay, horse stables and manu=
re piles stood out like sore thumbs.
> Yt, DW,Kentville
>=20
 I will watching and listening for them there as Spring progresses.=20
>>=20
>> Nancy D
>>=20
>> Sent from my iPad
>>=20
>>> On Feb 24, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com> wro=
te:
>>>=20
>>> They also seem to be good habitat for nesting Palm Warblers.
>>>=20
>>> Richard
>>>=20
ee farm going up from it. White-winged Crossbills were everywhere- feeding i=
n the spruce trees bordering the lot and also scattered throughout the Xmas t=
rees themselves. Several were actually sitting atop these small firs singing=
 away, well away from the cone-bearing trees. Would WWCR actually nest in th=
ese tree farms?
ndergrowth, edge habitat and gravelly trails. Each lot has a Red-tailed Hawk=
 present (two in courtship flight there on Thursday) plus I=E2=80=99ve seen K=
estrels, Merlins and other raptors- the thick grass likely harbours lots of s=
mall mammals, sparrows, insects and such. Neither natural nor the world=E2=80=
=99s safest environments in many ways  but certainly not the worst.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> --=20
>>> #################
>>> Richard Stern,=20
>>> Port Williams, NS, Canada
>>> sternrichard@gmail.com
>>> ###################

--Apple-Mail-2A6F9C11-4713-402C-892F-785820702D30

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">It is my understanding the long grasses sur=
rounding the fir trees are the result of suppressing hardwood growth by spra=
ying. No competition equaling happy grass. Xmas tree lots tend to be establi=
shed on dry, rocky, nutrient poor hill sides. I know nothing about amount, t=
ype, frequency of chemical treatments on this lot or others but have the imp=
ression it is not excessive. Hobblebush and other shrubby plants are abundan=
nbsp; I know little about current cultural practices in Xmas tree plantation=
s but your &nbsp;mention of thick grassy ground cover struck a chord. Other t=
hings being equal grasses tend to deep rooting (drawing on memory I found Co=
uch roots [Agropyron repens] down to 4 metres in relatively light orchard so=
ils) because grass feeder roots are typically small in diameter and can expl=
oit soil voids which exclude stubby roots.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;So a thick grassy ground cover implies nutrient retention in the soil=
 (recycled to the surface) instead of being exported as leachate and consequ=
ently a nutrient rich habitat. (Because nutrients generated by fixation or w=
eathering are less subject to loss.)&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; Such cond=
itions I associate with unusually diverse and abundant insect populations. O=
ne of the best nearby examples is downslope of the "feather factory" on rout=
e 12 just south of the Gaspereau River where for many years feathers were re=
ndered to be recycled as feed (I think) but the smell was quite rich and som=
e liquid seeped downslope. And Bees, Flies and Leps all appreciated it. I ha=
ve not been there recently so this may have changed by now.</div><div>&nbsp;=
 &nbsp; But going back many decades, to canoe exploration days, locations of=
 long gone logging camps with associated hauled in hay, horse stables and ma=
wd@gmail.com</a>&gt;</div>
/a></div>
/div>
B97C00131@gmail.com" type=3D"cite" class=3D"cite2">
Thank you for that info. PAWA being early arrivals so far as Warblers go, I w=
ill watching and listening for them there as Spring progresses.&nbsp;<div><b=
at, Feb 24, 2018 at 8:56 AM, nancy dowd <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mai=
ckquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #cc=
c solid;padding-left:1ex">Thursday I visited a trail that runs along the lak=
eshore with a Xmas tree farm going up from it. White-winged Crossbills were e=
verywhere- feeding in the spruce trees bordering the lot and also scattered t=
hroughout the Xmas trees themselves. Several were actually sitting atop thes=
e small firs singing away, well away from the cone-bearing trees. Would WWCR=
 actually nest in these tree farms?<br>
Xmas tree farms are curious places: fir monocultures with thick grassy under=
growth, edge habitat and gravelly trails. Each lot has a Red-tailed Hawk pre=
sent (two in courtship flight there on Thursday) plus I=E2=80=99ve seen Kest=
rels, Merlins and other raptors- the thick grass likely harbours lots of sma=
ll mammals, sparrows, insects and such. Neither natural nor the world=E2=80=99=
s safest environments in many ways&nbsp; but certainly not the worst.<br>
Nancy<br>
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.<br>
Sent from my iPad<br>
"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>#=
"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>##############=

--Apple-Mail-2A6F9C11-4713-402C-892F-785820702D30--