[NatureNS] Re: What is this WW Crossbill eating?

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 07:05:35 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

A well-informed person on the NSBS FB page suggested these are red maple buds due to the opposite branching. He is likely correct and I will check out the tree ID next time I am there. I guess Crossbills, like many other birds, take advantage of these rich sources of food in late Winter and early Spring but  this is the first time I have seen one dining on non-seeds.

Nancy