[NatureNS] Spring First Arrivals/Reports Table

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 15:09:45 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Responding to Eric, John and David C  and others but starting a new thread as I am losing my way in the long recent one. Species, like Robins, and many more are going to be added to the table very soon thanks to everyone’s constructive thoughts and criticisms on NatureNS. 2014-17 dates for some won’t appear right away as it takes a while to pin that down through back issues of NS Birds etc. But a 2018 column will be there immediately waiting for entries.

This rejigged table’s main purpose is as a reference for NS Birders wanting to know when migrants of a given species show up in NS  in the Spring, even if some overwinter in the province. And as a way to witness any change in these dates the years go by.  Some dates will be based on multiple locations noting, say RW Blackbirds, appearing in numbers, or the all male flocks mentioned and will need be agreed on, some are more definite like arriving Warblers or Osprey. Probably there will be times no agreed upon date can be found at all. Your detailed posts help a lot to figure things out. And if you see a date you disagree with please say, I know you will.

Thanks again for your input about this table. It has helped a lot. A work in progress.

Nancy

Sent from my iPad