[NatureNS] Great Blue Heron

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 04:14:43 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I noticed other "new" Great Blue Herons were seen yesterday in CSI and Lockeport as well. Not many overwintered this year. Our earliest was one that arrived with the Great Egret Mar 15 in Cape Breton, both blowing in the strong winds a little early. But I believe yours and others indicate the main migration is just getting underway and more will be seen soon.

Note our first migrating Hermit Thrush was photographed beautifully by Ervin Olsen in Yar Co yesterday (posted on FB). http://nsbirdsociety.ca/library/resources/spring-first-arrivals

The intro to the table explains the rationale behind the species selected for this Spring First Arrivals table (some may be removed) and the other big table that will contain all of our migrants, including those that overwinter in numbers.

Nancy