Re[2]: [NatureNS] Cormorants and Great Blues

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 16:34:33 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Y207DQoJbWFyZ2luLWJvdHRvbTou

--Apple-Mail-4A833BCE-23CD-4D1E-84A2-1776EFC16DC3

I wonder if large amounts of guano also have a smothering effect?

Nancy

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 29, 2018, at 4:00 PM, Laviolette, Lance <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>=
 wrote:
>=20
> Hi David,
> =20
> You are far more qualified than I am to understand the soil chemistry invo=
lved. Guano is uric acid so I=E2=80=99ll hypothesis that the acidic componen=
t damages the trees directly.
> =20
> Nick Hill might also be able to comment on the effect that gulls have had o=
n plant community succession on Brier Island. I=E2=80=99d be interested to k=
now if it is the soil chemistry of former colony locations suppresses shrub a=
nd tree growth or if there is active destruction of young growth by gulls.
> =20
> Cheers,
> =20
> Lance
> =20
 On Behalf Of David
> Sent: March 29, 2018 1:45 PM
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: EXTERNAL: Re[2]: [NatureNS] Cormorants and Great Blues
> =20
> Hi Lance & All,
>     I am guessing that tree death is due to winter kill of growth which, d=
ue to excess N, failed to harden off. But, does guano also kill woody perenn=
ials  where winter kill is not possible (too warm) ?
> Yt, DW, Kentville=20
> =20
morant nesting on Nova Scotia Islands.
> =20
> Grass > Brambles> Shrubs > Trees > double-crested cormorants/great blue he=
rons > Trees > Shrubs/brambles > Grass
> =20
> Guano is a great fertilizer, rich in nitrogen, phosphate and potassium, bu=
t like any fertilizer, too much is not a good thing and as everyone who has v=
isited a cormorant or great blue heron colony knows, they produce a lot of g=
uano.
> =20
> The Great Blue Herons move to start the process on another treed island on=
ce the trees are all killed and can no longer support a nest structure (alth=
ough I did come across Great Blue Herons nesting on an island in a lake in Y=
armouth County once).
> =20
> The Grass stage is prolonged as long as gulls and/or the cormorants start n=
esting on the ground. Common Eiders can be in the mix at several stages.
> =20
> The Grass stage ends and plant succession begins when these ground nesting=
 species are forced to move off the island and erosion hasn=E2=80=99t reduce=
d the island to mostly bare rock.
> =20
> Cheers,
> =20
> Lance
> =20
> Lance Laviolette
> Glen Robertson, Ontario
> =20
> =20
> =20
 On Behalf Of John and Nhung
> Sent: March 29, 2018 10:36 AM
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: EXTERNAL: RE: [NatureNS] Cormorants and Great Blues
> =20
> Here=E2=80=99s s story from before your time, John K.!=20
> =20
> Years ago, the island in mid-Yarmouth Harbour was well-treed.  Mighta been=
 back in the =E2=80=9970=E2=80=99s that cormorants started to get more abund=
ant and really liked that island.  Lotsa bushes on the island now; all the s=
pruce trees died out.
> =20
 On Behalf Of Nick Hill
> Sent: March 29, 2018 10:21 AM
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Cormorants and Great Blues
> =20
> John, are double-crested cormorants becoming a disturbance and habitat enr=
ichment problem here in NS..similar in a way to herring gulls?
> Nick
> =20
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 10:02 AM, John Kearney <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.=
ca> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Two Double-crested Cormorants and six Great Blue Herons arrived at the Joh=
ns Island nesting colony in Yarmouth Harbour this morning. There seemed to b=
e more cormorants crouching in grass, perhaps recovering from their journey.=
 I couldn=E2=80=99t tell for sure.
> None of these were there yesterday when I checked.
> John
>=20
> Sent from my iPhone
>=20
>=20
> =20
> --
> Dr. N.M.Hill
> Fern Hill Institute of Plant Conservation
> 424 Bentley Road, Berwick, NS, B0P 1E0
>=20
> phone 902-698-0416

--Apple-Mail-4A833BCE-23CD-4D1E-84A2-1776EFC16DC3

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">I wonder if large amounts of guano also hav=
lette, Lance &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lance.laviolette@lmco.com">lance.laviolet=

/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Baskerville Old Face";
	panose-1:2 2 6 2 8 5 5 2 3 3;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->

ibri&quot;,sa