[NatureNS] Super early BC Night Heron

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2018 15:02:51 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

div.m-33885477

--Apple-Mail-E5895B17-A4F0-4C19-AB8A-3369EDA65363

Thanks so much for providing these analyses. It really explains the overshoo=
t arrival dates. Except, as said, the BC Night Heron. A puzzle, that one.=20=

Did you notice any strong weather systems that may have carried it in Feb? I=
 see McLaren records one having survived on CSI =E2=80=9Cuntil at least late=
 February=E2=80=9D in 2000 (All the Birds of Nova Scotia). You have to wonde=
r if one overwintered on Bob Portage or somewhere N of the main wintering ra=
nge and was possibly displaced further north at some point (total speculatio=
n on my part).=20

Nancy

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 1, 2018, at 1:28 PM, John Kearney <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca> wr=
ote:
>=20
> Hi Rick and all,
> That=E2=80=99s an interesting comment about how the arrival of herons and e=
grets in March were similar to what one can see with a hurricane. I just fin=
ished checking the weather systems in March, and there were two that could h=
ave brought migrating egrets/herons to Nova Scotia. Both systems had an =E2=80=
=9Ceye=E2=80=9D with calm winds at surface levels. The first one would have p=
icked up birds off the southeast coast of the United States on the morning o=
f March 12. If the birds were able to keep up with the speed of the eye, the=
y would have been deposited in Shelburne County on March 14 at 6:00 am (42 t=
o 48 hours in flight). The second low formed on the morning of March 21 off N=
orth Carolina but did not form a typical eye. Rather there was a long tongue=
 of calm weather sandwiched between opposing high winds with the tongue exte=
nding out in the Atlantic south of Nova Scotia. This tongue eventually twist=
ed northward and would have deposited birds just east of Halifax at about 3:=
00 PM on 22 March (about 32 hours in flight). If this analysis is correct, t=
he birds would not have received any wind assistance in flying such a distan=
ce. But herons and egrets are good gliders, and this might explain their abi=
lity to keep up with the eye/tongue in near calm winds.
> The Black-crowned Night Heron on March 1 doesn=E2=80=99t fit into either o=
f these scenarios.
> John
> =20
r movements, if you check eBird today, March 31, the most northerly Little B=
lue Heron in the eastern US is in Connecticut, seen yesterday. The second mo=
st northerly is in New Jersey, also seen yesterday. (These would be "approve=
d" reports.)
> =20
> The most northerly Tricolored Herons in the eastern US are also in New Jer=
sey, about seven birds seen Mar 29-31.
> =20
> Both species will eventually reach sw Maine or n Mass. as the limits of th=
eir breeding range, so these birds in the US are still heading N under norma=
l migration patterns. The transfer that occurred a week or so ago was pretty=
 much similar to what happens during hurricanes.
> =20
> Regards,
> Rick Whitman
> =20
> On 28 March 2018 at 14:01, Wayne P. Neily <Neilyornis@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Nancy,
> =20
> This and the other egrets found more recently in NS are likely carried her=
e from the Middle Atlantic States by the massive movements of air associated=
 with storms.  Most of the 12-15 in NS, Newfoundland, and St. Pierre seem to=
 have been carried here by a major air movement from North Carolina out into=
 the Atlantic looping back here last Friday and Saturday.  I don't know whet=
her you are counting these as first migrants  or not, but there are likely m=
ore out there, if we could scour all the likely spots.
alf of nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
> Sent: March 28, 2018 07:14
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: [NatureNS] Super early BC Night Heron
> =20
> An imm Black-crowned Night Heron seen on Mar 1 in downtown Sydney! A photo=
 was recently posted on the NSBS Facebook page. Here is a link https://www.f=
acebook.com/groups/114204608605113?view=3Dpermalink&id=3D2347801488578736
> Log into Facebook | Facebook
> www.facebook.com
> Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, famil=
y, and people you know.
> =20
> (Not sure if this will work if you are not on FB though.)
> =20
> An exceptional find in any case. So far, 2018 NS overshooting Waders have b=
een very early compared to the past four years  http://www.nsbirdsociety.ca/=
library/resources/spring-first-arrivals
> =20
> Nancy
>=20
> Sent from my iPad
> =20

--Apple-Mail-E5895B17-A4F0-4C19-AB8A-3369EDA65363

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Thanks so much for providing these analyses=
. It really explains the overshoot arrival dates. Except, as said, the BC Ni=
trong weather systems that may have carried it in Feb? I see McLaren records=
 one having survived on CSI =E2=80=9Cuntil at least late February=E2=80=9D i=
n 2000 (All the Birds of Nova Scotia). You have to wonder if one overwintere=
d on Bob Portage or somewhere N of the main wintering range and was possibly=
 displaced further north at some point (total speculation on my part).&nbsp;=
ef=3D"mailto:john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca">john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&=
ontent-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta name=3D"Generator"=
 co