[NatureNS] Tree Swallow nest boxes Port Williams sewer ponds

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 09:52:17 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--000000000000073272056969e220

Nice job, George.

I just won an Awesome grant (
http://www.awesomefoundation.org/en/chapters/antigonish) to work with 4H in
starting a nest box trail in Antigonish County. We budgeted for 100 boxes,
and with donations and price reductions by suppliers, we may actually hit
the 200 box mark. Maybe I'll still be around in 30 years, and best as I
can, will keep records of nestings.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

 grant (<a href=3D"http://www.awesomefoundation.org/en/chapters/antigonish"=
>http://www.awesomefoundation.org/en/chapters/antigonish</a>) to work with =
4H in starting a nest box trail in Antigonish County. We budgeted for 100 b=
oxes, and with donations and price reductions by suppliers, we may actually=
 hit the 200 box mark. Maybe I&#39;ll still be around in 30 years, and best=
=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">___________________=
S.</div></div>
"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" target=3D"_blank">dwebster@=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><di=
v>Hi George &amp; All,</div><div>Initiative goes a long way. Good going.</d=
om" target=3D"_blank">ge4syth@gmail.com</a>&gt;</div>
ens@chebucto.ns.ca</a></div>
//CAMS=3DwB7gV-VeNmbik7PxA-1oHPyVP8UgmXwDSK-5n_whOrTYtg@mail.gmail.com" typ=
e=3D"cite" class=3D"m_4204564917504438188cite2">
low boxes that are located at the sewer ponds in Port Williams today. There=
 are 14 boxes around the ponds, 8 were used (one had a clutch of five eggs =
unhatched), 3 boxes had half constructed nests and had yellow jacket wasps =
that had over wintered,=C2=A0 three boxes were unused. <br><br>If the seven=
 boxes that had nests and didn&#39;t have eggs in them and were assumed to =
be successful with an average of four fledglings, it is possible that this =
community of Tree Swallows contributed 28 Tree Swallows to the population. =
There have been boxes here for about thirty years (assuming similar success=
 were constructed and installed by Boy Scouts under my direction about thir=
ty years ago. There is no longer a Scout Troop here but I have continued to=
 maintain and replace the boxes as needed, I do clean them each spring.<br>=

--000000000000073272056969e220--