[NatureNS] Hemlock Woolly Adelgid Meeting

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 09:57:54 +0000
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a1142576e0d090805697b8f4a

Condolences, John. Hemlock is one of our most beautiful shade tolerant long
lived trees and it sets the structure of many ravines, riparian forests and
old growths.
I'd advise caution, however In adopting either a sanitary, a chemical or a
treatment that uses non native biocontrols.
Wild forest management is the proper job of a forest ecologist who sees
structure, forest successional dynamics and evolution. The sky is not
falling; as I've pointed out, other areas have gone through this and
forests change and in some (many if we read the West Virginia phd)
affected forests, hemlock persists and relinquishes some of its dominance
to cherry birch, the species determined by availability in the area. Here
it will probably be yellow birch and red spruce but we will see.

Active management makes humans and particularly those in mandated
organizations feel they are not being negligent ..due diligence etc...but
forests change and we would do best for nature to let it change and only
intervene where we think there are regeneration  issues. It's a good time
to collect tree seeds, start nursery stock of yellow birch and red spruce
hobble bush mountain maple.

The public has lost its forest commons as we cede the forest to companies
that clearcut. If we care about forests and nature, let the forests be
wild...connect up wild areas onto corridors...but don't treat wild forest
like gardens or we will be mimicking the clear cutting mentality at work on
most of our forest commons.

Let's have some faith in nature and not think it's helpless without us.
Holding back and not rushing to active management will be hard for people
in government and conservation organizations but succession can handle what
we think is a crisis. How it handles it is the beauty and wisdom of nature.

I haven't got into carbon implications but obviously the less we do and the
more we let succession regenerate a fast growth of new trees to mop up
mineralized nutrients, tie up more carbon all amid the existing carbon in
the old hemlock, the more we are doing our part for slowing climate
change...the more we remove and hack and burn...

Lastly, we are in, undeniably, a time of vegetation change brought n by
climate change. Such forest changes will be opportunities for biodiversity
and we will witness exciting positive changes.

Nick

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018, 12:46 AM John Kearney, <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Our hemlock trees are in serious trouble.  The culprit is an aphid
> relative, the hemlock woolly adelgid, and currently, southwest Nova Scotia
> is the most at threat.
>
> The Tusket River Environmental Protection Association (TREPA) will be
> sponsoring a talk by Ron Neville, Plant Health Survey Biologist of the
> Canadian Food Inspection Agency, at the Yarmouth County Museum and
> Archives, 22 Collins Street, Yarmouth, on Tuesday, April 10th, at 7:00
> PM. All are welcome.

--001a1142576e0d090805697b8f4a

hade tolerant long lived trees and it sets the structure of many ravines, r=
iparian forests and old growths.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;d advise caut=
ion, however In adopting either a sanitary, a chemical or a treatment that =
uses non native biocontrols.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Wild forest management =
is the proper job of a forest ecologist who sees structure, forest successi=
onal dynamics and evolution. The sky is not falling; as I&#39;ve pointed ou=
t, other areas have gone through this and forests change and in some (many =
if we read the West Virginia phd)=C2=A0 affected forests, hemlock persists =
and relinquishes some of its dominance to cherry birch, the species determi=
ned by availability in the area. Here it will probably be yellow birch and =
to">Active management makes humans and particularly those in mandated organ=
izations feel they are not being negligent ..due diligence etc...but forest=
s change and we would do best for nature to let it change and only interven=
e where we think there are regeneration=C2=A0 issues. It&#39;s a good time =
to collect tree seeds, start nursery stock of yellow birch and red spruce h=
o">The public has lost its forest commons as we cede the forest to companie=
s that clearcut. If we care about forests and nature, let the forests be wi=
ld...connect up wild areas onto corridors...but don&#39;t treat wild forest=
 like gardens or we will be mimicking the clear cutting mentality at work o=
ir=3D"auto">Let&#39;s have some faith in nature and not think it&#39;s help=
less without us. Holding back and not rushing to active management will be =
hard for people in government and conservation organizations but succession=
 can handle what we think is a crisis. How it handles it is the beauty and =
n&#39;t got into carbon implications but obviously the less we do and the m=
ore we let succession regenerate a fast growth of new trees to mop up miner=
alized nutrients, tie up more carbon all amid the existing carbon in the ol=
d hemlock, the more we are doing our part for slowing climate change...the =
ir=3D"auto">Lastly, we are in, undeniably, a time of vegetation change brou=
ght n by climate change. Such forest changes will be opportunities for biod=
iversity and we will witness exciting positive changes.</div><div dir=3D"au=
">On Tue, Apr 10, 2018, 12:46 AM John Kearney, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:john.k=
earney@ns.sympatico.ca">john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br></di=
v><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:=
1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div lang=3D"EN-CA" link=3D"blue" vlink=3D=
"purple"><div class=3D"m_2936997112712656520WordSection1"><p class=3D"MsoNo=
rmal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-=
=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;