Re[2]: [NatureNS] Hemlock Woolly Adelgid Meeting

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 10:22:11 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a11415dc2fa282605697e68d5

=E2=80=8B   "doing less can scarcely translate into doing more". YT DW
Think about it: Nature works best without us on a regular basis.
These are philosophical management issues (e.g. Muir versus Gifford
Pinchot) but they have real diversity implications as well as time, effort
and carbon costs.  Your carbon analysis is wanting.

Hill

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 10:08 AM, David <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick & All,
>     I agree that death of Hemlock stands is no cause for alarm, because
> plants tend to generate conditions more favorable for other species, but
> one should try to use any development to advantage; by intervention if
> applicable.
>     With respect to the following
> "... obviously the less we do and the more we let succession regenerate a
> fast growth of new trees to mop up mineralized nutrients, tie up more
> carbon all amid the existing carbon in the old hemlock, the more we are
> doing our part for slowing climate change..."
>     doing less can scarcely translate into doing more.
>     The notion that forests just keep capturing carbon if left alone is
> wishful thinking.  If Hemlock in the affected areas die then all of their
> carbon, trunk, root and branch will eventually be released as CO2. This
> will no doubt be a slow process because Hemlock is rot resistant, but
> release is certain.
> ASSUMING DEATH OF MANY HEMLOCK IN A RELATIVELY PURE STAND---
>     I agree that succession, with rapid growth of young trees, will in
> time offset this release so it makes sense to act in ways which will enab=
le
> this with minimum delay. The C/N ratio of wood is high so much dead wood
> implies a N shortage for decades. About half of this carbon is undergroun=
> and beyond practicable removal. But above ground wood can readily be
> removed so, where feasible, it makes sense to use it. Cut the dead trees,
> chunk, split and pile in the woods with bark removed and use for firewood
> locally in later years as substitute for fossil fuels. [The bark of Hemlo=
ck
> is readily removed when split.] Every stick of firewood, burned for heat,
> can represent that much less fossil fuel burned for that purpose.
>     An you indicate, when many trees of a stand die in a region subject t=
> leaching one may expect loss of mobile nutrients as decomposition of soil
> organic components  continues in the absence of uptake. A scattering of
> seeds, such as Buckthorn, would minimize this.
>     If the affected Hemlock are in relatively pure stands then selective
> removal trees most affected would make sense.
> Yt, DW, Kentville

--=20
Dr. N.M.Hill
Fern Hill Institute of Plant Conservation
424 Bentley Road, Berwick, NS, B0P 1E0

phone 902-698-0416

--001a11415dc2fa282605697e68d5

=80=8B

2.8px;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:nor=
mal;font-weight:400;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;=
text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rg=
b(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;=
float:none;display:inline">=C2=A