[NatureNS] FeederWatch report, 2017-2018, Ant. Co.

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 15:44:59 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0000000000002e7892056982ed83

For 16 years, I have participated in Project FeederWatch (
https://feederwatch.org/). During that time, I have recorded 49 species at,
or near my feeders, according to the project's guidelines. This year was
largely uneventful. For reference, there are no other feeders near me.

I didn't see, let alone get to record, a single Sharpie this winter;
ironically, one showed up yesterday, a day after the count period ended. I
didn't put out as much carrion, so didn't attract scavengers to that
"feeder" other than the typical Blue Jay, American Crow, Common Raven and
Bald Eagle; raccoons and Eastern Coyotes also fed.

Even in low years, I get redpolls, even just in single digits. I didn't see
a single one this year, nor a siskin, either. Mourning Doves were very low,
I didn't get even one until half way through the season (November to early
April). Then, about three weeks ago, a second one showed up. They are now a
couple. No sparrows of any sort overwintered with me, but Juncoes and Songs
were tallied on the last two counts. A Fox Sparrow showed up on
Monday...like the Sharpie, a day too late.

A flicker spent around two weeks in the area, though never came to a feeder
(still countable...as long as the bird is attracted to your area by food
offerings or vegetation [wild or planted], it counts...i.e. a bird just
flying through does not count). The pileateds were there off and on.

Most years, I feed the birds year round. However, I had to stop feeding
last spring because of increased bear activity, and a toddler who thought
going outside without letting us know was normal. I really think that the
lower numbers this winter were in part due to the fact that I didn't have a
population (termed use loosely) of birds already there when the count
period began. This doesn't apply to redpolls, I wouldn't think.

The cool thing, as noted in the previous post, was the American Robins
feeding on corn. I never did get a great picture, but I have confirmed that
that is in fact what they're doing. I'll post a picture of them on FB.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0000000000002e7892056982ed83

https://feederwatch.org/). During =
that time, I have recorded 49 species at, or near my feeders, according to =
the project&#39;s guidelines. This year was largely uneventful. For referen=
, let alone get to record, a single Sharpie this winter; ironically, one sh=
owed up yesterday, a day after the count period ended. I didn&#39;t put out=
 as much carrion, so didn&#39;t attract scavengers to that &quot;feeder&quo=
t; other than the typical Blue Jay, American Crow, Common Raven and Bald Ea=
n low years, I get redpolls, even just in single digits. I didn&#39;t see a=
 single one this year, nor a siskin, either. Mourning Doves were very low, =
I didn&#39;t get even one until half way through the season (November to ea=
rly April). Then, about three weeks ago, a second one showed up. They are n=
ow a couple. No sparrows of any sort overwintered with me, but Juncoes and =
Songs were tallied on the last two counts. A Fox Sparrow showed up on Monda=
ent around two weeks in the area, though never came to a feeder (still coun=
table...as long as the bird is attracted to your area by food offerings or =
vegetation [wild or planted], it counts...i.e. a bird just flying through d=
iv>Most years, I feed the birds year round. However, I had to stop feeding =
last spring because of increased bear activity, and a toddler who thought g=
oing outside without letting us know was normal. I really think that the lo=
wer numbers this winter were in part due to the fact that I didn&#39;t have=
 a population (termed use loosely) of birds already there when the count pe=
riod began. This doesn&#39;t apply to redpolls, I wouldn&#39;t think.</div>=
American Robins feeding on corn. I never did get a great picture, but I hav=
e confirmed that that is in fact what they&#39;re doing. I&#39;ll post a pi=
div class=3D"gmail_signature">_________________________________<br>RF Lauff=

--0000000000002e7892056982ed83--