[NatureNS] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:27:14 -0300

As I was coming quickly from the garden back up to the house today I
heard a rustle in the tall Juniper at the corner of the house, then
something fluttered down practically at my feet.  It was a male
YBSapsucker!  I think it must have hit the house when I came rushing
up.  It lay on the ground a while, but gradually recovered and
eventually flew to a nearby tree.  It rested some more, then started
hitching up the trunk in typical woodpecker fashion.  Flew to another
tree, where I saw a new hole that it must have pecked earlier.  After
awhile it flew back into the woods.  I think it's OK!

Lois Codling
L. Sackville