[NatureNS] Catbird, Ipswich Sparrows on Eastern shore, April 11

From: susann myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 12:08:12 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_yGJJdEoY91nCMnbS8v2Rwg)

While cutting brush along the lane to Shorebird Cove in Three Fathom Harbour yesterday, I was surprised to hear the unmistakable song of a Gray Catbird, with its jumble of warbles, whistles and squeaks. A pair of Catbirds typically nests along the lane, but I don't usually hear them singing until late May or early June - June 4 in 2017.

I also checked the 3 locations where Pat McKay and I found Ipswich Sparrows on Saturday. Looking from the car on Saturday (it was cold and damp!), we saw 6 around the parking lot at the Lawrencetown River beach (below Macdonald House on #207), 3 at the beach at Rocky Run cove, and 2 at the parking lot at Dyke Road island, Grand Desert. Yesterday, spending approximately the same time in each location as on Saturday (but much longer at Grand Desert), I found only 2 Ipswich remaining. These were at the Lawrencetown River beach. So winds appear to have been favourable this week for the flight to Sable Island.

Cheers,
Susann Myers

--Boundary_(ID_yGJJdEoY91nCMnbS8v2Rwg)

=3Cdiv=3EWhile cutting brush along the lane to Shorebird Cove in Three F=
athom Harbour yesterday=2C I was surprised to hear the unmistakable song=
 of a Gray Catbird=2C with its jumble of warbles=2C whistles and squeaks=
=2E=A0 A pair of Catbirds typically nests along the lane=2C but I don=27=
t usually hear them singing until late May or early June - June 4 in 201=
7=2E=3C/div=3E=3Cdiv=3E=3Cdiv =3E=3Cbr/=3E=3C/div=3E=3Cdiv=3E=3Cdiv=3EI =
also checked the 3 locations where Pat McKay and I found Ipswich Sparrow=
s on Saturday=2E=A0 Looking from the car on Saturday (it was cold and da=
mp!)=2C we saw 6 around the parking lot at the Lawrencetown River beach =
(below Macdonald House on =23207)=2C 3 at the beach at Rocky Run cove=2C=
 and 2 at the parking lot at Dyke Road island=2C Grand Desert=2E=A0 Yest=
erday=2C spending approximately the same time in each location as on Sat=
urday (but much longer at Grand Desert)=2C I found only 2 Ipswich remain=
ing=2E=A0 These were at the Lawrencetown River beach=2E=A0 So winds appe=
ar to have been favourable this week for the flight to Sable Island=2E=3C=
/div=3E=3Cdiv=3E=3Cdiv =3E=3Cbr/=3E=3C/div=3E=3Cdiv=3E=3Cdiv=3ECheers=2C=
=3C/div=3E=3Cdiv=3ESusann Myers=3C/div=3E=3C/div=3E=3C/div=3E=3C/div=3E=3C=
/div=3E

--Boundary_(ID_yGJJdEoY91nCMnbS8v2Rwg)--