[NatureNS] Duck ID?

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 07:40:27 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

There are a limited number of ducks I have ever seen on this lake (L Torment, E Dalhousie, Kings Co). These include Mallard, Black, Ring-necked, Wood, GW Teal, Hooded and  C Merganser plus Bufflehead in Fall. Yesterday I heard whistling wings and Croaking. I did not see the duck(s) but believe this would be a Wood Duck. Ideas?

Maybe whistling wings is not really a good ID feature for ducks. But the dabblers like Mallards and Black Ducks do not seem the “whistle” in flight.

Thanks for any help here, Nancy