[NatureNS] Long-tailed ducks in the woods

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 11:47:45 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_/m8Df/laL9dTm/ZXnhoUzg)

Is that on the New Russel Road?  I was going to check on the forest
cover loss in that area out of curiosity on the U Maryland site.

Donna

On 2018-04-16 12:14 AM, Richard Stern wrote:
> Just returned from this year's nocturnal owl survey, with Bernard
> Forsythe and Sheila Mccurdy. The route is on a long dirt logging road
> on the South Mountain between Falmouth and New Ross. There has been
> extensive clear-cutting, and the number of owls has been progressively
> declining. Last year we only had a pair of Barred owls and 1 Saw-whet.
> This year we had NONE. In fact the only sign of any bird life was the
> call of at least 1 Long-tailed duck, high overhead over the woods at
> the farthest stop - presumably on migration overland. The stars were
> spectacular, and the cold was biting.
>
> --
> #################
> Richard Stern,
> Port Williams, NS, Canada
> sternrichard@gmail.com <mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com>
> ###################

---

--Boundary_(ID_/m8Df/laL9dTm/ZXnhoUzg)

  <head>
  </head>
      forest cover loss in that area out of curiosity on the U Maryland
      site.  <br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAAwXBYc=Afg6jG36Bw6ENTD=b-H4m96wdYJCcn8n-D9MWZ2Fzg@mail.gmail.com">
        survey, with Bernard Forsythe and Sheila Mccurdy. The route is
        on a long dirt logging road on the South Mountain between
        Falmouth and New Ross. There has been extensive clear-cutting,
        and the number of owls has been progressively declining. Last
        year we only had a pair of Barred owls and 1 Saw-whet. This year
        we had NONE. In fact the only sign of any bird life was the call
        of at least 1 Long-tailed duck, high overhead over the woods at
        the farthest stop - presumably on migration overland. The stars
        were spectacular, and the cold was biting.<br clear="all">
        -- <br>
              Richard Stern, <br>
              Port Williams, NS, Canada<br>
                moz-do-not-send="true">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>

--Boundary_(ID_/m8Df/laL9dTm/ZXnhoUzg)--