Re[2]: [NatureNS] Marsh Wren food

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 06:24:51 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0000000000005c00b6056a1c09f9

Hi Dave,
What I call bullrushes I believe most people call cattails. Miner's Marsh
itself is not tidal but the tidal Cornwallis River and some tidal marsh is
immediately on the other side of the dyke.
Rick.

On 17 April 2018 at 20:02, David <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

> Hi Rick & All,
>     Would these bulrush be some expression of Scirpus maritimus ? I
> wondered if insect larva might be available on mud pools exposed during
> falling or low tide. I don't have dates at hand without digging but decad=
es
> ago I saw swarms of Stonefly adults on deep snowbanks near the railway
> bridge.
> Yt, DW, Kentville

call cattails. Miner&#39;s Marsh itself is not tidal but the tidal Cornwall=
is River and some tidal marsh is immediately on the other side of the dyke.=
ail_quote">On 17 April 2018 at 20:02, David <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" target=3D"_blank">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt;=
8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div>Hi Rick &amp; Al=
l,</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Would these bulrush be some expression of Scirpu=
s maritimus ? I wondered if insect larva might be available on mud pools ex=
posed during falling or low tide. I don&#39;t have dates at hand without di=
gging but decades ago I saw swarms of Stonefly adults on deep snowbanks nea=
r the railway bridge.=C2=A0</div>
scens@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.<wbr>com</a=
>&gt;</div>
" target=3D"_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;</div>
://CAA9nSY8g+9dQ5MsUBogykZujUynkn_MUbah+xfYqcQnJqt2tKg@mail.gmail.com" type=
=3D"cite" class=3D"m_-6290312428702735611cite2">
rushes. These create a complex microhabitat that does not get beat down any=
 lower than perhaps 1/2 m over the entire winter. There is lots of potentia=
l for tiny arthropod life down in there that would carry on all winter. The=
re would also be overwintering stages of larger insects hidden in the stems=
. There might be days when it was pretty bleak in there, but there would be=
 other days with a very decent microhabitat temperature and even small open=
 water for midges or winter stoneflies or whatever to emerge. So, very impo=
rtant to not visualize this as a sheet of ice or solid snow. Not at all.<di=
v>(A few Song Sparrows lead pretty much the same life, each winter.)<br><di=
=3D"gmail_quote">On 17 April 2018 at 16:49, nancy dowd <span dir=3D"ltr">&l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nancypdowd@gmai=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Was wondering=
 what the Marsh Wren that spent much of the winter at Miner=E2=80=99s Marsh=
 managed to find for food during that time? I read they are insect eaters. =
Nancy<br>
Sent from my iPad<br>

--0000000000005c00b6056a1c09f9--