[NatureNS] eBird breeding code question

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:16:48 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--000000000000cb36aa056a7094bd

I think the researchers who use eBird data, and the directions on the eBird
site, will encourage you to use breeding codes as much as you can, or will.
So it can't do any harm.

Having said this, I personally feel that use of breeding codes should
reflect common sense knowledge of species breeding range as well as time of
year. I won't search for examples but I know I've seen breeding codes used
this winter in particular, say Dec-Mar, that I consider highly speculative
or simply invalid. Aside from an extremely short list of local species that
literally never migrate, plus Crossbills, a few owls, I think even using
"in appropriate habitat" or "pair in suitable habitat" is meaningless in
Dec-Mar. The birds are simply trying to survive the winter and seeing a
bird in a given location tells us almost nothing about where they might
breed next spring. They are (were) where they are because there is FOOD,
habitat and safety there.

Best, Rick.

#39;t search for examples but I know I&#39;ve seen breeding codes used this=
 winter in particular, say Dec-Mar, that I consider highly speculative or s=
imply invalid. Aside from an extremely short list of local species that lit=
erally never migrate, plus Crossbills, a few owls, I think even using &quot=
;in appropriate habitat&quot; or &quot;pair in suitable habitat&quot; is me=
aningless in Dec-Mar. The birds are simply trying to survive the winter and=
 seeing a bird in a given location tells us almost nothing about where they=
 might breed next spring. They are (were) where they are because there is F=
018 at 08:15, nancy dowd <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd=
@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nancypdowd@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br=
px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On my regular birding routes I have been en=
tering breeding codes each time when appropriate for a species. Is there an=
y reason to do so on every list if the breeding code is no higher than alre=
ady reported previously for that location?<br>
Nancy<br>
Sent from my iPad<br>

--000000000000cb36aa056a7094bd--