[NatureNS] Some good news for a change

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:50:39 +0000

--------=_MB6DD50979-23A1-4704-8C05-6C9CBC2008DC

Hi Peter & All,
     Perhaps not such good news. The neonics ban is I think a case of mob=
=20
rule as opposed to experience based conclusions. Many farmers use Bees=20
and Neonics and they get along fine provided, relying on memory, one=20
doesn't use neonics on the field to be pollinated. Entomologists are=20
reluctant to get involved in a media firestorm but those who comment=20
privately just shake their heads in disbelief and say "What next ?".
     And for some ground truth, always a good starting point, there was a=
=20
surplus of bees in NS last year. Some hives had to be destroyed because=20
management costs can not be covered by honey production alone and there=20
was lowered demand for pollination services.
     And worldwide there is a surplus of honey.
     Mark Twain observed that a lie can travel around the world while the=
=20
truth is putting on its shoes. And "One of the most striking differences=20
between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives."
     Witch hunts may make the mob feel superior but they end badly.

     On a related vein, I fear for our wild bees. They overwinter in the=20
ground and we had very deep frost this year. I have seen Honey Bees in=20
my yard but, as I feared, not one wild bee.
     One should not waste time on non issues, such as neonic use, when=20
the great problem, climate change, is extremely serious.
Yt, DW, Kentville