[NatureNS] swallow box clean-out results

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2018 19:53:25 -0300

&lt;div style=3D"background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"&gt;&lt;fo

--Boundary_(ID_5OKqHTN62CuvZR/gjvB4ug)

Very interesting nest box inspections.

I just witnessed a starling trying to get into one of our tree swallow
boxes this evening.  Fortunately, my husband put the metal rings on the
outside, of just the right diameter (a Lee Valley invention).  There was
at least one tree swallow in the nest box when the starling tried to
gain entrance.  It's located on 'prime real estate' next to the pond
where winged insects should be best.  We'll watch activities closely
over the next few days.

Donna Crossland

On 2018-05-01 7:11 PM, Fritz McEvoy wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I finished cleaning out my swallow boxes today and the results
> from 2017 were down substantially.  I have 30 boxes that
> I've maintained for a number of years and 2017 produced only 9 boxes
> containing nests with breeding evidence - down from 15 in 2016. This
> drop was somewhat expected as swallow activity in general last year
> seemed low.
>      On the positive side there was a large increase in the number of
> flying squirrel nests; 8 full and partial, which was surprising as I
> had none in 2016. Two of the flying squirrel nests had adults and one
> no adult but at least one baby squirrel (I'm not sure what baby
> squirrels are called) but no adult. All nests were composed of grasses
> (normal) and some kind of fibrous material like blown in insulation
> which I haven't seen used here by flying squirrels. No idea where it
> originated. All the flying squirrel nests were in one general area
> which was also odd. I don't know if this increased flying
> squirrel activity is local or has been noted in other places in the
> province.
>     Two boxes were blown down over the winter and one of those was
> used by mice/voles. About two-thirds of the boxes had entrance holes
> enlarged by squirrels and will have to have the doors replaced.
>     Here are the 2017 results:
> 9 tree swallow nests with breeding evidence
> 5 partial swallow nests (1 had a empty flying squirrel nest on top of
> a partial swallow nest)
> 2 empty red squirrel nests
> 3 active flying squirrel nests (2 with adults and maybe young and 1
> with at least 1 young squirrel but no adult)
> 3 empty flying squirrel nests (1 was on top of partial swallow nest -
> see partial swallow nests above)
> 2 partial flying squirrel nests
> 7 empty boxes
>     All the best.
>              Fritz

---

--Boundary_(ID_5OKqHTN62CuvZR/gjvB4ug)

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      swallow boxes this evening.  Fortunately, my husband put the metal
      rings on the outside, of just the right diameter (a Lee Valley
      invention).  There was at least one tree swallow in the nest box
      when the starling tried to gain entrance.  It's located on 'prime
      real estate' next to the pond where winged insects should be
      best.  We'll watch activities closely over the next few days.  <br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:DM3PR18MB079580B7415916D3EE10D61CB7810@DM3PR18MB0795.namprd18.prod.outlook.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255,
        255, 255);">
        Hi all, </div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255,
        255, 255);">
            I finished cleaning out my swallow boxes today and the
        results from 2017 were down substantially.  I have 30 boxes that
        I've maintained for a number of years and 2017 produced only 9
        boxes containing nests with breeding evidence - down from 15
          Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">
          in 2016. This drop was somewhat expected as swallow activity
          in general last year seemed low.</span></div>
          face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#000000"><span
            style="font-size: 12pt;">     On the positive side there was
            a large increase in the number of flying squirrel nests; 8
            full and partial, which was </span>surprising<span
            style="font-size: 12pt;"> as I had none in 2016. Two of the
            flying squirrel nests had adults and one no adult but at
            least one baby squirrel (I'm not sure what baby squirrels
            are called) but no adult. All nests were composed of grasses
            (normal) and some kind of </span>fibrous<span
            style="font-size: 12pt;"> material like blown in insulation
            which I haven't seen used here by flying squirrels. No idea
            where it
            flying squirrel nests were in one general area which was
            also odd. I don't know if this increased flying
            squirrel activity is local or has been noted in other places
          face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#000000"><span
            style="font-size: 12pt;">    Two boxes were blown down over