[NatureNS] Dog-strangling vine in Nova Scotia

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 08:35:46 -0400

On 5/5/2018 7:24 AM, David Patriquin wrote:
> Some discussion about Dog-strangling vine (/Cynanchum rossicum &
> Cynanchum louiseae)/ came up in a discussion forum on Woods and Waters
> Nova Scotia; I had not heard of it before in NS and cannot find it in
> any lists of invasive plants for NS.

* there are so many of these invasive plants that have been such a
problem in Ontario, but don't elicit appropriate panic in places where
they're just showing up! See http://www.pinicola.ca/nfv2004c.htm -
http://www.pinicola.ca/swalwpai.htm for a 2004 account of a local area
that's completely taken over, and is still spreading. Local naturalists
should rally, and prod gov't to action, to eliminate any colonies of
this plant which are found, or you'll be in Fletcher Wildlife Garden
territory of a perpetual struggle -
https://ofnc.ca/fletcher-wildlife-garden/some-success-pulling-dog-strangling-vine-in-2017

A biocontrol moth has been released in Ottawa last year, but it's not
expected to completely control the Dog-strangling Vine.

fred.

--
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History