Re[2]: [NatureNS] Dog-strangling vine in Nova Scotia

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2018 19:37:04 +0000
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0000000000005a28de056b7a9070

Calm...i lived in southeast Kentucky
We had kudzu vine  that swallowed abandoned houses...crossex roads via
phone lines
Scary but before we call Jesus and Mary we notice it did not enter intact
woodland and was restricted to about 30m from the roaside.
We do have a couple of plants that are 9f concern because they do get into
fairly intact ecosystems. I'd put glossy buckthorn at the top of the list
and then in terms of potential for harm given reports from elsewhere, I'd
be concerned about the spread of garlic mustard.

Glossy? It's naturalized now and is part of swamps and early forest
succession. It's not the end of the world...its green it's a laxative for
birds and it fits into a red maple alder tudspuck sedge swamp with no
apparent diversity or community function effects.

Fight clearcutting and our inability to get any marine protected areas for
the eastern shore because we don't want any impingement on rockweed harvest
or oil and gas development.

Great name!