Glossy Buckthorn was :Re[4]: [NatureNS] Dog-strangling vine in

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Cc: Aleta Karstad <karstad@pinicola.ca>,
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 14:01:34 -0400

On 5/6/2018 11:35 AM, David wrote:

>     The prejudice against "invasives" is spread if not created by
> organizations; "Send money and we may be able to overcome this crisis."

* I wouldn't want to comment on organizations, which seem to convert
every wrinkle of the daily news to "Send money and we may be able to
overcome this crisis," but there's more to it than that.

On the [Aliens-L] list there was a recent thread on "Do non-native
species contribute to biodiversity?" And I reposted my long-standing
definition of an invasive species as one that decreases the diversity of
a site which it colonizes - http://www.pinicola.ca/limvade.htm

A naturalized species is an addition to measured diversity (whatever
judgement one may make about native/alien value), but an invasive
species drives other species out and decreases the biodiversity at the
site. So many prevalent definitions of invasiveness are so premised on
economic harm or human inconvenience that they're scientifically
meaningless.

The value of native species to thoughtful people is their history as
natives and how they got to their native ranges and evolved to live
together. If you're living in Nova Scotia you're living in communities
haphazardly built up in the irregularities of colonization as sea levels
and isostatic rebound interacted after deglaciation, just as those of us
who live in eastern Ontario live in the outwash of the Champlain Sea,
among the hybrid swarms of Atlantic and Mississipian colonists who met
each other here.

In the case of Glossy Buckthorn, here's a prophesy that has come true:

Catling, Paul M., and Z. Sue Porebski. 1994. The history of invasion and
current status of Glossy Buckthorn, Rhamnus frangula, in southern
Ontario. Canadian Field-Naturalist 108(3): 305-310.

In southern Ontario Glossy Buckthorn, Rhamnus frangula, became
established in three urban centres, London, Ottawa and Guelph, at the
turn of the century. By 1930, it had still only been found in these
three urban centres, and by 1950 it had not extended beyond 40 km from
any of them. By 1970, it had spread to sites up to 150 km distant but
still appeared to have a sparse and largely urban distribution in the
southern part of the province. Currently Rhamnus frangula occurs
throughout much of southern Ontario and is locally common. In some sites
it comprises more than 90% of the green biomass over areas of several
acres and it has become a major component of regionally and provincially
significant plant communities. Berries of Rhamnus frangula are eaten by
American Robins, Bohemian Waxwings, Cedar Waxwings, Rose- breasted
Grosbeaks and Starlings. The shrub probably has a number of different
avian and mammalian dispersal agents. Over the next 10-20 years, it is
expected that R. frangula will become abundant and dominant in open and
semi-open wetlands over most of the southern part of the province. While
small scale management technology is available, the problem is one that
requires a consideration of management on a large scale.

It not only takes over florally rich wetlands, but also the interior of
woods, shading out regeneration after thinning, and contributing to the
decline of insects by chemically preserving the oval outlines of its
leaves intact until they fall, when they contribute alleloltoxins to the
soil... Also both Buckthorns are considered inedible by Beavers.

If organizations had any gumption, they'd be growing both European
Buckthorns in greenhouses, encouraging the 'natural enemies' that make
our native Buckthorns SAR to switch to the invaders, but until then we
can just take the place of herbivores by whacking the Rhamnus down and
burning them for fuel. Buckthorn-whacking would be a much more useful
national sport than hockey - and with a much smaller carbon footprint,
since in the invaded areas it can be done in everybody's back yard.

fred (Bishops Mills' leading Buckthorn-whacker)

--
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History