[NatureNS] popping pine cones this afternoon

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 21:34:46 +0000

Hi Donna & All,
     I did not know cones popped. Interesting.
       On a somewhat related note, and by way of warning to those who
still have good hearing, I once had excellent hearing and e.g. when
sitting in woods in fall evenings could hear the clicks made by a Spruce
needle as it fell and variously hit live or dead wood on the way down
and predict when it would hit ground. Age diminishes hearing but I
damaged mine by using a chain saw for several years without ear
protection.
     And back about 1940, when the world had much less noise, I heard
Radish coming up at dusk one evening in the vegetable garden (no
kidding). When the soil crust breaks, the fracture makes a faint pop
sound.
Yt, DW, Kentville