Re[2]: [NatureNS] popping pine cones this afternoon

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 16:49:22 +0000

Hi Ken & All,
     I am on poor footing here, in a flock of birders, but perhaps they
cock their head to see better. Hens do the same thing when hunting for
insects in the yard. The eyes of most birds are positioned for
predominantly side vision.
     Robins frequently make a two legged bounce I suspect to encourage
earthworms to emerge. For reasons unknown to me earthworms will move
toward a vibration.
     This became obvious when we scraped excavation sidewalls with a
mason's trowel to map apple roots. I subsequently learned that this is
used in Florida (?). A small post is driven into moist ground and a
notched stick is then dragged rapidly against the post. I have not tried
this but understand that earthworms move to the surface in response to
the vibration. Drawing on faint memory, I think Wood Turtles stomp to
draw earthworms to the surface.
Yt, DW, Kentville