[NatureNS] chimney Swifts New Glasgow

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken54@eastlink.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 21:49:37 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_M9LP7ZJ1khqGo4Fe7lOKng)

Hi all
Last night, May 17, was the first of four nights of Swiftwatch counts each spaced a few days apart. Unfortunately last night was miserable in New Glasgow with 6C, overcast and a little windy. Added to those negative factors, I arrived at the School of Temperance St  Apartments later than I planned at 20:31. Over the next 20 min or so, only 4 Swifts went in. One can assume the main flock entered earlier in the evening to save energy.

I decided to go back again tonight although the temperature was still only 7C but it was calm, and clear skies. I arrived at 20:18 and a nice flock of more than 100 Swifts was circling the chimney. Over the next 20 min or so many more joined in and many circles of the chimney and false dives were made with loads of twittering. Between 20:41-20:43, 350 entered the chimney and stragglers continued to 20:56 when the last 4 went in for a nice total of 384. Next official count night is May 23. Hoping for a clear night and even bigger numbers.

All the best
Ken

Sent from my iPad
Ken McKenna
Stellarton
NS

--Boundary_(ID_M9LP7ZJ1khqGo4Fe7lOKng)

e first of four nights of Swiftwatch counts each spaced a few days apart. Un=
fortunately last night was miserable in New Glasgow with 6C, overcast and a l=
ittle windy. Added to those negative factors, I arrived at the School of Tem=
perance St &nbsp;Apartments later than I planned at 20:31. Over the next 20 m=
in or so, only 4 Swifts went in. One can assume the main flock entered earli=
o go back again tonight although the temperature was still only 7C but it wa=
s calm, and clear skies. I arrived at 20:18 and a nice flock of more than 10=
0 Swifts was circling the chimney. Over the next 20 min or so many more join=
ed in and many circles of the chimney and false dives were made with loads o=
f twittering. Between 20:41-20:43,&nbsp;<b>350&nbsp;</b>entered the chimney a=
nd stragglers continued to 20:56 when the last 4 went in for a nice total of=
 <b>384</b>. Next official count night is May 23. Hoping for a clear night a=

--Boundary_(ID_M9LP7ZJ1khqGo4Fe7lOKng)--