[NatureNS] Sandhill Cranes over Round Hill

From: Jacquie Dale <jacquie.dale@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 12:09:15 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000ffadc3056cb8af81

Hello everyone, well apparently I have introduced myself and my husband to
the whole group by mistake thinking I was only replying to Bev. I apologize
but it is rather funny. I have enjoyed reading all the postings. I guess I
am no longer an anonymous lurker!

Good news, no ticks as of yet today in the garden and husband's pain in
side is much better. Our pond has filled up from all the recent rain and we
spotted the turtle swimming about today. The peepers are still keeping us
awake at night so they must be doing well. The barred owls were also
hooting. I still have not seen the elusive yellow bird my husband said he
saw but will report when I do.

Jacquie

On Mon, May 21, 2018, 11:12 AM Jacquie Dale <jacquie.dale@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow! Thats fantastic. There are so many birds around now. I'm still not
> good identifying them but Paul said he saw a yellow bird so may have been a
> Canada warbler. I'll keep an eye out for it while I'm planting our tomatoes
> in the garden today. So far we are growing a lot of weeds and ticks. Haha.
> We have found lots of ticks. I even found one on me at work climbing up my
> chest. It was definitely a black legged tick. I ran into the bathroom and
> whipped off all my clothes and inspected. The little bugger was hiding in
> my black shirt. I'm detemined to wear only light clothing from now on. I
> got some of that spray but now from the nature ns list I see it is
> practically useless. Haha. Bug nets seem to work  the best for black flies.
>
> You are really zooming through that painting. We have still not managed to
> finish the kitchen cupboards. We are about half way. Paul has been feeling
> a little under the weather. He has a pain in his right side. Not sure it
> it's appendix or muscular. We may need to find a doctor if it isn't better
> tomorrow. He's been taking it easy and he says the pain comes and goes. He
> doesn't want to go to hospital just yet I guess.
>
> Otherwise things are crazy growing here. Trees finally leafed out. Its
> about a week delay from down in the valley we noticed. We need to cut some
> grass but no scythe yet. I will order one from Maine today I guess.
>
> Take care.
>

> On Mon, May 21, 2018, 10:20 AM Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> While scraping paint off the wall of the tower on my place this morning,
>> two Sandhill Cranes wheeled over my house and then headed east toward
>> Tupperville.  There were 3 Turkey Vultures circling as well, but the
>> Sandhills were a bit higher and caught my eye as they were flying almost
>> wingtip to wingtip.  Then I heard their very distinctive call which I so
>> often hear when I'm down in Arizona where about 20K of them overwinter on
>> the playa at Whitewater Draw about 3 km from the cabin where I stay.  Neat
>> surprise to see them this morning -- almost like they came by to say hello
>> and check out my summertime abode.
>>
>> Bev Wigney
>> Round Hill, NS

--000000000000ffadc3056cb8af81

and my husband to the whole group by mistake thinking I was only replying t=
o Bev. I apologize but it is rather funny. I have enjoyed reading all the p=
ostings. I guess I am no longer an anonymous lurker!<div dir=3D"auto"><br><=
/div><div dir=3D"auto">Good news, no ticks as of yet today in the garden an=
d husband&#39;s pain in side is much better. Our pond has filled up from al=
l the recent rain and we spotted the turtle swimming about today. The peepe=
rs are still keeping us awake at night so they must be doing well. The barr=
ed owls were also hooting. I still have not seen the elusive yellow bird my=
12 AM Jacquie Dale &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jacquie.dale@gmail.com">jacquie.da=
e=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div di=
r=3D"auto">Wow! Thats fantastic. There are so many birds around now. I&#39;=
m still not good identifying them but Paul said he saw a yellow bird so may=
 have been a Canada warbler. I&#39;ll keep an eye out for it while I&#39;m =
planting our tomatoes in the garden today. So far we are growing a lot of w=
eeds and ticks. Haha. We have found lots of ticks. I even found one on me a=
t work climbing up my chest. It was definitely a black legged tick. I ran i=
nto the bathroom and whipped off all my clothes and inspected. The little b=
ugger was hiding in my black shirt. I&#39;m detemined to wear only light cl=
othing from now on. I got some of that spray but now from the nature ns lis=
t I see it is practically useless. Haha. Bug nets seem to work=C2=A0 the be=
are really zooming through that painting. We have still not managed to fini=
sh the kitchen cupboards. We are about half way. Paul has been feeling a li=
ttle under the weather. He has a pain in his right side. Not sure it it&#39=
;s appendix or muscular. We may need to find a doctor if it isn&#39;t bette=
r tomorrow. He&#39;s been taking it easy and he says the pain comes and goe=
s. He doesn&#39;t want to go to hospital just yet I guess.=C2=A0</div><div =
 here. Trees finally leafed out. Its about a week delay from down in the va=
lley we noticed. We need to cut some grass but no scythe yet. I will order =
"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Mon, May 21, 2018, 10:20 AM Bev Wigney &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:bkwigney@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">bkwigney@g=
"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D=
"ltr">While scraping paint off the wall of the tower on my place this morni=
ng, two Sandhill Cranes wheeled over my house and then headed east toward T=
upperville.=C2=A0 There were 3 Turkey Vultures circling as well, but the Sa=
ndhills were a bit higher and caught my eye as they were flying almost wing=
tip to wingtip.=C2=A0 Then I heard their very distinctive call which I so o=
ften hear when I&#39;m down in Arizona where about 20K of them overwinter o=
n the playa at Whitewater Draw about 3 km from the cabin where I stay.=C2=
=A0 Neat surprise to see them this morning -- almost like they came by to s=

--000000000000ffadc3056cb8af81--