[NatureNS] re turkey vultures -- was Sandhill Cranes over Round Hill

From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 17:03:03 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_24d87Ra9ptYQ41SFgKgXWg)

Pat Hawes & I saw a soaring, teetering turkey vulture up near Blomidon =
Park this afternoon =97 I think we were along the Stewart Mountain Road =
when we saw it.  Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Jacquie Dale <jacquie.dale@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Sandhill Cranes over Round Hill
> Date: May 21, 2018 at 12:09:15 PM ADT
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>=20
> Hello everyone, well apparently I have introduced myself and my =
husband to the whole group by mistake thinking I was only replying to =
Bev. I apologize but it is rather funny. I have enjoyed reading all the =
postings. I guess I am no longer an anonymous lurker!
>=20
> Good news, no ticks as of yet today in the garden and husband's pain =
in side is much better. Our pond has filled up from all the recent rain =
and we spotted the turtle swimming about today. The peepers are still =
keeping us awake at night so they must be doing well. The barred owls =
were also hooting. I still have not seen the elusive yellow bird my =
husband said he saw but will report when I do.
>=20
>=20
> Jacquie=20
>=20
> On Mon, May 21, 2018, 11:12 AM Jacquie Dale <jacquie.dale@gmail.com> =
wrote:
> Wow! Thats fantastic. There are so many birds around now. I'm still =
not good identifying them but Paul said he saw a yellow bird so may have =
been a Canada warbler. I'll keep an eye out for it while I'm planting =
our tomatoes in the garden today. So far we are growing a lot of weeds =
and ticks. Haha. We have found lots of ticks. I even found one on me at =
work climbing up my chest. It was definitely a black legged tick. I ran =
into the bathroom and whipped off all my clothes and inspected. The =
little bugger was hiding in my black shirt. I'm detemined to wear only =
light clothing from now on. I got some of that spray but now from the =
nature ns list I see it is practically useless. Haha. Bug nets seem to =
work  the best for black flies.=20
>=20
> You are really zooming through that painting. We have still not =
managed to finish the kitchen cupboards. We are about half way. Paul has =
been feeling a little under the weather. He has a pain in his right =
side. Not sure it it's appendix or muscular. We may need to find a =
doctor if it isn't better tomorrow. He's been taking it easy and he says =
the pain comes and goes. He doesn't want to go to hospital just yet I =
guess.=20
>=20
> Otherwise things are crazy growing here. Trees finally leafed out. Its =
about a week delay from down in the valley we noticed. We need to cut =
some grass but no scythe yet. I will order one from Maine today I guess.=20=

>=20
> Take care.=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Mon, May 21, 2018, 10:20 AM Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com> wrote:
> While scraping paint off the wall of the tower on my place this =
morning, two Sandhill Cranes wheeled over my house and then headed east =
toward Tupperville.  There were 3 Turkey Vultures circling as well, but =
the Sandhills were a bit higher and caught my eye as they were flying =
almost wingtip to wingtip.  Then I heard their very distinctive call =
which I so often hear when I'm down in Arizona where about 20K of them =
overwinter on the playa at Whitewater Draw about 3 km from the cabin =
where I stay.  Neat surprise to see them this morning -- almost like =
they came by to say hello and check out my summertime abode.
>=20
> Bev Wigney
> Round Hill, NS

--Boundary_(ID_24d87Ra9ptYQ41SFgKgXWg)

charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">Pat =
Hawes &amp; I saw a soaring, teetering turkey vulture up near Blomidon =
Park this afternoon =97 I think we were along the Stewart Mountain Road =
when we saw it. &nbsp;Cheers from Jim in =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px;"><span style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica';">Jacquie Dale &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:jacquie.dale@gmail.com">jacquie.dale@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br><=
/span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);"><b>Subject: =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px;"><span style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica';">May 21, 2018 at 12:09:15 PM =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);"><b>To: =
href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a><br></s=
 =