[NatureNS] Killing Endangered Species on Private Land is Ok

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 16:09:46 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01D3F767.76AE6870

Dear NatureNS readers,

I wish to express my sorrow about the state of environmental policy in the
Province of Nova Scotia. I thought I couldn't get more disheartened when the
Premier indicated that oil and gas development should be permitted in Marine
Protected Areas. While such a statement would be par for the course (no pun
intended) for US President, Donald Trump. I didn't expect it here.

Yesterday, however, this sorrow hit closer to home. In my home village of
Carleton, in Yarmouth County, I witnessed what I believe to be the
destruction of a Common Nighthawk nest by a forestry operation. I believe
this because I was listening to a tree harvesting machine, blocked from my
view from a stand of softwood, but very loud as I was only a couple hundred
of meters away. All of a sudden, at about 2 PM, a Common Nighthawk flew up
from where the machine was harvesting and subsequently circled the machine a
couple of times before disappearing.

I immediately called the local office of the Department of Natural
Resources. The regional biologist was not in but about an hour later a
wildlife technician called to tell me not to worry. The biologist had
indicated that Common Nighthawks don't nest in the forest and have a wide
foraging area so it was just passing by. I disputed this claim, noted that
forestry should not be permitted during the bird breeding season, and asked
that at minimum, the Department inform the landowner that an endangered
species, listed under the Species at Risk Act, was likely nesting in the
area of forestry operations.  I was then informed there was nothing the
government would do because the forestry operation was on private land.

So despite the fact that it is against the law (Migratory Birds Convention
Act) to destroy the nest, eggs, or young of a migratory bird, and despite
the fact the Common Nighthawk is protected by federal and Nova Scotia
species at risk legislation, it is ok to destroy the nest, eggs, or young of
an endangered migratory bird if it is on private property. I wonder if they
are planning on allowing the hunting of fawns and moose calves on private
property year-round too?

Thanks for listening to my lament.

John

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01D3F767.76AE6870

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Dear =
express my sorrow about the state of environmental policy in the =
Province of Nova Scotia. I thought I couldn&#8217;t get more =
disheartened when the Premier indicated that oil and gas development =
should be permitted in Marine Protected Areas. While such a statement =
would be par for the course (no pun intended) for US President, Donald =
Trump. I didn&#8217;t expect it here.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Yesterday, =
however, this sorrow hit closer to home. In my home village of Carleton, =
in Yarmouth County, I witnessed what I believe to be the destruction of =
a Common Nighthawk nest by a forestry operation. I believe this because =
I was listening to a tree harvesting machine, blocked from my view from =
a stand of softwood, but very loud as I was only a couple hundred of =
meters away. All of a sudden, at about 2 PM, a Common Nighthawk flew up =
from where the machine was harvesting and subsequently circled the =
machine a couple of times before disappearing.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I =
immediately called the local office of the Department of Natural =
Resources. The regional biologist was not in but about an hour later a =
wildlife technician called to tell me not to worry. The biologist had =
indicated that Common Nighthawks don&#8217;t nest in the forest and have =
a wide foraging area so it was just passing by. I disputed this claim, =
noted that forestry should not be permitted during the bird breeding =
season, and asked that at minimum, the Department inform the landowner =
that an endangered species, listed under the Species at Risk Act, was =
likely nesting in the area of forestry operations. &nbsp;I was then =
informed there was nothing the government would do because the forestry =
operation was on private land.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>So despite =
the fact that it is against the law (Migratory Birds Convention Act) to =
destroy the nest, eggs, or young of a migratory bird, and despite the =
fact the Common Nighthawk is protected by federal and Nova Scotia =
species at risk legislation, it is ok to destroy the nest, eggs, or =
young of an endangered migratory bird if it is on private property. I =
wonder if they are planning on allowing the hunting of fawns and moose =
calves on private property year-round too?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMs